1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Social Science

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by jimmym1990, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody was in a simular situation to me. I applied for the Social Science PGCE at Keele (amongst others), and got offered a provisional place. They, however, have only four places for this course (9 including psychology), and are unsure as to whether they can run the course. At the moment they are in consultation with the TDA regarding the funding.
    I have waited over a month now, but not sure what to do. This situation familiar to anybody else?

2. Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody was in a simular situation to me. I applied for the Social Science PGCE at Keele (amongst others), and got offered a provisional place. They, however, have only four places for this course (9 including psychology), and are unsure as to whether they can run the course. At the moment they are in consultation with the TDA regarding the funding.
    I have waited over a month now, but not sure what to do. This situation familiar to anybody else?

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hi Jimmy, have you got other choices on your GTTR form or was that your only one?
    I guess you need to chase it up with Keele especially if you have other choices because they may fill up while you are waiting.

4. Hi, thanks for your reply! Keele cancelled the course, but the other places had all filled up by the time I got my interview at Keele- Apparently Leicester still have reserve list vaccancies. Went for an interview at Chester for RS PGCE, and if that's unsuccessful, I'll go for a Citizenship PGCE I think.

5. A lot of Citizenship teachers struggle to get jobs mate so perhaps reconsider your option. Just a word of warning. Try get some experience behind you - volunteer at schools - attempting to obtain a GTP position through a school might be more valuable (for the year after next however) and maybe reaaplying with additional experiences.

6. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

You could also consider applying for PGCE Health and Social Care. There are still places for that and you can also opt to teach Social Sciences during the PGCE as your second subject because they are so closely linked. My fellow trainees who did PGCE Health and Social Care are now teaching Psychology and Sociology as well as Health and Social Care.