1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE shopping list

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Jools1808, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Congratulations on securing your place :)
    I would recommend a USB device. Make it at least 4gb (£5.00 on play.com) so you can store videos. (youtube is banned at school, so you'll need to download and save them).
    I bought loads of recommended books and haven't used any of them. When writing assignments or on school placement, my uni's library had everything I needed. I know you're probably itching to buy books, but wait til you've seen what the library has. You'll save so much money!
    Lastly, folders. Lots of folders for all the paperwork you're going to have. I have 16 lever arch folders and am just finishing my PGCE.

2. Teachers have acess to YouTube at my school but the internet connection cannot be relied upon so I agree download the video and you don't run the risk of internet failure in your lesson.
    I use Firefox and even have portable version on my 16GB USB then I use Video Download helper from the add ons site - it's brilliant.
    Organisation is critical make sure you can get to everything you need for the lesson in one folder, open it up, click on all the items and you're ready to go.
    I am just about to finish my PGCE.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

This. I thought I'd buy files and dividers once I'd got something to put in there. Ended up with piles of paper everywhere because I kept forgetting or having better things to do than go out and buy them once the course started!

4. Hiya! I would state that all the above are very helpful tips and you should carry these out. I'm going to say that you need to be very organised from day 1 otherwise you will have stuff everywhere and you won't be able to find it when you need it. If you want to buy books, then make sure you buy them from either eBay or Amazon, or search on Google for the cheapest possible. Students who are finishing may be selling their books now so you may grab a bargain. Not that its part of a shopping list but I also recommend that you attend every session within Uni as most of these can hit standards with a reflection linked. Good luck!

5. I would buy and read "The Teacher's Toolkit" by Paul Ginnis. Also a Pukka Project Pad - great for taking notes as can split into sections. Try to do a little work on subject knowledge. Familiarise yourself with a few key concepts (Independent Learning, Assessment for Learning, Differentiation). When you're doing your observations, look for those things and make a note of what teacher did for starter, main and plenary activities.

6. Have you thought about clothes? Unless you have someone at home who will do your ironing, I recommend getting some trousers and blouses that you can wear without ironing, or enough cheap clothes from a supermarket to last a complete half-term so you don't have to do any ironing during school weeks! Also, a bag that will take A4 folders or a laptop case that does the same.
    If you do your own cooking, fill the freezer with meals that just need a quick microwave or bunging in the oven.
    The first term up to Christmas won't be as busy, but after that it will probably get exhausting and fill every waking hour.

7. Thank you all for these great ideas! I never even gave clothes a thought! Is there anything you really wish you had when you started your PGCE?

Thank you all again!

8. Can anybody recommend any good cheapish bags? I've been looking on-line and I just don't seem to be seeing any decent sized ones :(

9. There's a book called"The Essential Guide to Lesson Planning", which I have used throughout the year

10. I have a satchel like this: http://www.bolsitabags.co.uk/leather-fair-trade-bags/satchel-with-handle-round/
    It is big enough to put in everything like planner, purse etc and a folder. I am planning on having that and one or two of those hemp kind of bags which are sturdy and I can carry in my hand.

11. As far as books go, I would wait to see what is in your Uni library before getting anything on their booklist - I hardly used mine. The book I wish I had bought as a trainee is "The Lazy Teacher's Handbook" by Jim Smith. I bought it at the begining of my NQT year and it is now well thumbed. It was also recommended to all staff at my school on an INSET session - so I felt very pleased with myself as I already had it permanently with me!
    Other than that I think most of the suggestion I have are here. If once you have joined the unions, look out for any workshops in your area. I attended a brilliant one on Voice Care - it saved many a sore throat.
    Enjoy!

12. An external hard drive is a must and I've found my notebook invaluable, I have a note taking piece of software that is part of microsoft office which is excellent it's called onenote, (as a student you will be eligible for the microsoft office student deals) I got the full business version of office for under £60 which included alot of useful additional software like onenote and publisher aswell as the usual word, excel, ppt. I used thisto take notes in all my uni lectures and take it to school with me everyday so I always have my uni notes with me on the computer easy to refer to and lighter than the extra 3-4 lever arch files they would have taken up! Our Uni's policy is also to accept electronic versions of files if you can take in a laptop/notebook to show them the files - this has saved me a bundle on printing!
    If you are not all that savvy with your ICT...spend some time improving that, learning about the functions word has to offer to speed things up, and excel for tracker spreadsheets learn how to do formula, spend some time learning to use ppt properly so you can quickly throw together CLEAR powerpoints your pupils will be able to read! You will have to use ICT alot so get used to it!
    Stock up on everything you possibly can; stationary, food(dry thigns like pasta, tinned frozen), cleaning supplies, alcohol if thats your poison, to minimize having to go shopping ets, this will also help you survive on the student budget through the year as you will have spread your shopping a bit- alot of your money will go on travel to your placements unless you are INCREDIBLY lucky.
    Contact lenses/prescriptions/hayfever tablets etc - if you take anything long term stock up before and then during the holidays otherwise you might find it hard to get to surgeries/pharmacies/opticians during opening times for these crucial things! my second placement is in a private school that works 8.25-5.30 so I literally CAN'T get to my doctors for my pill prescription during their opening times, or my opticians for my contact lenses - stuff like this just adds stress that you don't need!
    Birthday/thank you/event cards - get one of those geeky books where you write in all the birthdays etc that month, buy a card for each and put them in the book ready. otherwise you will miss all your nearest and dearests birthdays. and stock up on a few thank you cards for your mentors, the form tutor you work with etc.
    If you are doing a subject which is supported by alot of props (i.e. science) start looking and collecting now. another good time is just after x-mas when toys are discounted in shops I got several slinkys, ping pong balls, plastercine, table bowling sets then for demonstrating all sorts of things like sound waves, compression waves, forces, efficiency, making little models etc. You know your subject, think ahead for those things now.
    DO spend time refreshing your subject knowledge before you start otherwise you WILL struggle to fit it all in!
    Read this....published last year, available as a pdf online or you can pay a small amount to have a printed copy (I just read it online)
    http://classroomtales.com/2010/08/12/launching-the-pgce-survival-guide-incorporating-pgcetips/
    And I really would agree with the tip about clothes I bought a few suit and trouser/skirt sets at the start of the year from an outlet village, and then bought LOADS of good quality blouses/shirts from charity shops so I only have to wash shirts every 3-4 weeks 3 hours shopping cost my about £100 doing this...but would have cost me 4-5 times that from real shops. my 1st placement was fairly casual 'smart' attire and I didn't need the suit jackets but my second placement is very formal and I need the jacket everyday. obviously you can't tell this until you have been to your placement!
    If you end up with placements that are along way away...consider signing up to audible.com for audibooks - an easy way to work on your subject knowledge and stop your travel time being wasted time.
    Diary - wait until you sign up with the unions I ended up with 3 free ones and 2 free wall planners ontop of the one I'd already bought myself.
    If you plan to use amazon alot....make sure you get your NUS card and activate it properly, then use the student discount...
    Files, files, files and dividers. Don't underestimate the number of files and dividers I'm on....10 lever arch files, 9 normal A4 files and about 10 sets of dividers...i'm now out of dividers and haven't had time to go shopping again so it's starting to get messy.... mini hole punch and stapler to carry around with you so you can put things staright into folders as you print them, by things I mean your lesson resources and lesson plan. buy some printer paper and ink to see you through the first few weeks, but then organise yourself to print at school if it's for school!
    Finally...make use of TES resources, there is no need to reinvent the wheel every lesson! I use TES resources all the time for ideas, or I 'borrow' the images, being ICT literate means I can easily adapt other peoples resources to suit my classes, without having to start from scratch everytime.
    Thats all I can think of right now. I would say...if you are going straight from being a UG student to the course you will find it hard work....If you're coming from a job into it you will probably find it equivalent - providing you've had to work hard and do reasonably long hours. I've found it easier than working in undergraduate admission, with the odd few weeks where deadlines have all come together at once. These weeks have been a nightmare and I haven't thought I could cope. But it's nearly over now...and I'm 'Very good with outstanding features' :) still can't get a job mind...!
    Enjoy it!

13. one more thing - try to avoid buying CGP books until you are 'linked' to a school. Then if you order online and tell them which school you are at you get a HUGE discount.

14. Buy revision books for your maths/english skills test and start practising taking them, so you can take it ASAP. You do not want to be worrying about it in placement.

15. Which PGCE are you doing and where? Im going to Roehampton to do primary and they have just sent through a preparation booklet with pages and pages of reading and tasks to do before the big first day! so unfortunately no chance of waiting until I actually start to get the books, I need them now! Luckily, I work at Staples so I have used my staff discount to get money off a new printer and laptop, and all my stationary - I am stocking up now before i leave! The prep booklet said I would need 14 lever arch files at least!! Also planning to take a trip to the local primark/h&m stores to get cheap 'school clothes'. From what everyone else has said, seems like its worth being super organised, coz we aren't gonna get much free time come September!
    Good Luck!

16. This is fab!!! I havd already thought of this .... does anyone know of where extra finance/ grants can be claimed ??? The TDA have withdrawn the £4000 .... I am getting £3500 for the year!!! Got a house to run with 3 kids and a car to run ouch!!!! Really need a job at the end!!!! Excited but very nervous!!!!

17. Kirsty, depending on your household income you can also claim support towards childcare costs (if you have any), and you can also ask for your regular monthly financial commitments, such as mortgage, utilities etc... to be taken into account when Student Finance England assess your loans and grant applications. If you haven't already, apply for a fees loan as this does not need to be repaid until you are receiving (I think) an income of more than 15k.
    I too have a house and two children support and must admit to losing sleep worrying how I am going to manage it all. I have to hope that the jobs are there in the end. Good luck !

18. www.bookbutler.co.uk is fantastic for books. It's a comparison site for books and lists all copies available, new and used, including postage. I've got some amazing old maths textbooks for £2-3. When you start your placement I'd recommend buying cheap biros to lend kids, Tesco and Wilkinson do 10 for around 30p. It's easier and less disruptive to deflect the "I can't do the work cos I haven't got a pen" excuse than to argue why they don't have one. I'd also definitely buy plenty of folders and clear plastic pockets. All of my QTS evidence gets submitted via a VLE but I've still got about 10 folders!

19. Get paracetamol, Lemsip, Strepsils, a nit comb and lots of pocket-sized packs of tissues. Kids are filthy disease-carriers and you will get ill on every placement.
    The good news is that after a few years of teaching you will be immune to everything!

20. goatherd

goatherd New commenter

For synching USB and computers, Microsoft do synctoy, which is free.
    I'm on my NQT and wish I'd had it before. I have installed it on both my school and home laptop, so do not have to carry a computer home each day, but always have the correct version of my work :)
    Goat