1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Secondary Science - University options

Discussion in 'Science' started by gb33, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Hello,

I'm new to the TES Community but have heard a lot about it through other teachers. I'm currently looking into doing my PGCE secondary science with Physics through a University lead route and I'm finding it hard to decide which Institution to choose. I have gained experience working in a secondary school. I have a first class honours in Physics graduated almost 10 years ago and looking to get into a teaching career. I've heard it doesn't matter so much where I do the PGCE but is there a University that balances the different elements of the PGCE course well. At the moment I have been looking at Reading, Durham, Exeter, Manchester, Cambridge.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble Occasional commenter

Another suggestion - Manchester Metropolitan. Much better than U of Manchester - larger course, better support and tutors. This I know from a professional background, I didn't do my PGCE there.

Physicists are in very short supply and if you're even halfway decent they'll bite your hand off. Have a look at the IoP's website and look into their funding. If you do start teacher training, definitely tap the IoP up for help and resources too.

Just go in with your eyes wide open, though. It's a hard job and there's very little thanks. Physics teachers leave, on average, within a couple of years of starting. It's something close to 90% more likely to quit within 5 years than any other subject. However, it can be the most enjoyable job and you'll never be bored!

3. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

Exeter, well I trained there when it was St Luke's. Reading again good and you'll get a mix of schools.
    At the end of the day I agree that some of the 'universities' that were originally training colleges then Polys are sometimes better than the Russell group!

4. robjgriff

robjgriff New commenter

Hey...........My PGCE students have now all bought a package to cover their subject knowledge gaps. Have to say it seems to be working great. Not sure that a few of them won't still have a heart attack though!
    science-gcse.co.uk