1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Secondary - NQT in primary?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Psylulu, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hello there,
    Nearly a year and a half ago I passed my PGCE Secondary in MFL - French with Spanish. Since then, I was unable to get a job (stuck in Cumbria, there are very few jobs to apply for...). So I am now thinking about teaching in primary schools. Is it possible to pass my NQT while teaching in primary? I know it's not ideal but I am getting quite desperate...
    PS: In the meantime I did supply work in secondary schools...
    Thanks for your answer(s)...

2. Hello there,
    Nearly a year and a half ago I passed my PGCE Secondary in MFL - French with Spanish. Since then, I was unable to get a job (stuck in Cumbria, there are very few jobs to apply for...). So I am now thinking about teaching in primary schools. Is it possible to pass my NQT while teaching in primary? I know it's not ideal but I am getting quite desperate...
    PS: In the meantime I did supply work in secondary schools...
    Thanks for your answer(s)...

3. Yes, I believe it is possible to complete induction in a primary school even though you are secondary trained. However, you may have a hard time convincing a head teacher (or whoever else may be reading you application form) that you would be suitable for a primary role, especially if you are just applying for a role in a primary school simply because 'you're getting desperate.'

My advice would be to think carefully about why you might actually want to work in a primary school as surely you went for MFL secondary for a reason. It's pretty tough for all of us out there.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, tough for MFL, especially as PMFL is no longer to be statutory but remains as just entitlement. EBac is supposed to having good opportunities for MFL but we're still waiting.
    Yes it's possible to pass NQT in either Sec or Prim and doesn't influence future career other than trying to convince Heads WHY you want to change and trying to convince them you're up to date with all new initiatives at any stage.
    Remember for Primary you have to teach ALL subjects across the full curriculum range. How are you going to convince a potential employer of your ability to do that?

5. EBacc is supposed to be creating good opportunities for Geog too, but we are also still waiting!!!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry to hear of your predicament.
    As others have said, PGCE is transferable within obligatory education, so from age 5 to age 16.
    BUT
    Very big BUT.
    There are enormous numbers of unemployed primary teachers. Enormous. And, to make it worse, Cumbria is one of the areas with the largest surplus. So you would be competing against teachers who are Primary trained (Could you teach reading to 5 year-olds? Maths to 11 year-olds? Science, ICT or Geography to 9 year-olds?), and often Primary-experienced, at the very least during their TP.
    200 is not that unusual anymore - 200 applicants for a Primary post in NW, I mean. You can see that a Head would be likely to go for the safe option.
    And, no, there will not be many - or any - FT Primary MFL jobs on offer.
    Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sorry.
    However, having said that, we have an actual example of someone on this Forum who is Secondary MFL trained but has got a Primary classroom post. But she has been doing Primary supply for some time, so has got the experience, knows the talk, can walk it.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

7. Just to back Theo up on this point, there is actually someone from my PGCE class (so secondary trained like me) who is now working part-time (so she can still raise her young children) at a primary school for SEN children. She actually found the post through a contact at the university, and has had to basically learn the early years, and KS1/2 curriculum from scratch, so its been hard work, but apparently she's really enjoying it.

8. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Hello,
    I did MFL PGCE too, but did my NQT is Secondary, and taught there for a while. I was however able to move to do this, as would not have been able to do this if I couldn't move. I do know of a Primary trained Teacher who has ony just finished her NQT after 5 years, because supply was not great where I am from!
    It is REALLY difficult to change over- and i'm still trying - but it is possible[​IMG]. I was told a lot ''In theory, yes you can, but why would a Head want you, when they could have a Primary trained teacher?''. You have to convince them of this. At the end of last year, I applied for both MFL jobs, and Primary jobs. I appplied for a lot more Primary jobs than MFL, but got 1 interview for primary, and 6 for MFL, but still really wanted to do primary.
    I love primary, and know that this is what I want to do (now!). The conversion course had stopped, so I have been doing as much supply as possible to build up my experience in the Primary School. I mean years - not months! I was lucky because 1 or 2 days supply in one school led to over 5 months with same class. I have now also got references from Primary Heads.
    I have also recently moved to an area, where there are A LOT more jobs than where I am from, and have been doing Primary supply in different schools. I have also had 2 interviews for Primary positions, and was successful in one, so it <u>IS</u> possible [​IMG]!
    Are you stuck in Cumbria, or could you move? I would say try to get as much supply as you can in some local primary schools, as this will give you the experience, as it's a lot different to secondary, and may either lead to something else, or give you a reference.
    Theo, you have the memory of an elephant! Not sure who you're on about, but not sure they can walk it! [​IMG]

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter