1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Secondary Maths - visit to a Primary School?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by gaw821, Jun 14, 2011.

1. I'm due to start a PGCE in Maths at BCU in September, and I was sure that I'm meant to do a week at a Primary School before the course starts... I can't seem to find any information about it... i.e I can only remember being told about it in my interview but can't actually find it in writing!
    Does anyone know of any info? Are all PGCE students meant to do this week?
    Thanks for any help!

2. DM

DM New commenter

You need to get *some* experience of another phase. Most PGCE students do a couple of days. You will need to contact your provider to establish their exact requirements.

3. I understand it to be normal practice but courses may operate it differently. Some arrange them, some ask students to organise themselves. One of the teaching standards requires you to be familiar with other phases so it will depend on how the course ensures you address that standard.
    In the meantime (as you are keen!) I would recommend 'Maths for Mums and Dads' by Rob Eastaway and Mike Askew as a very readable introduction to current primary mathematics practices.

4. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

You need experience of KS2 if it is a secondary PGCE. In many institutions this is done via a week at the start of the course. This means you can organise it close to home and save yourself a week of rent (particularly useful for those moving away from home to go to university for their course). In this case it is often treated officially as the first week of the course (even though induction happens the following week).
    There may be tasks you have to complete during that week.
    Given that PGCE courses for the current academic year have not all finished yet, I would have thought it unlikely that universities have got the paperwork ready for next year's group. My guess would be that you would hear in detail about the requirements at some point in July, with the Primary placement needing to be organised for September.
    If you are concerned then do contact the university.
    I hope the course goes well for you.

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

When I did my PGCE at Leeds, about 20 years ago, we were told to find ourselves a primary school to spend a week in, prior to the start of the course. It was simply a matter of phoning up heads and asking if they would be prepared to put up with me for a week. There was a lovely school 20 minutes from where I lived, which was the only call I made. I found the school, the head and the deputy head fantastic and really enjoyed my week.

I hope this helps, and gives you some encouragement.