1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Secondary Maths presentation interview

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by von_george20, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hi everyone
    I have a presentation for part of my interview process. Anyone have any ideas on what to expect.[​IMG]

2. You will probably need to do a presentation (on the prescribed topic) and then they will ask you questions about it

What is the topic?

3. Just make sure you take care to take your presentation in a variety of formats. We had a guy come for interview at our school last year with a pptx file and it wouldn't open on our system for love nor money. In the end I managed to get it to open on my Mac, in Keynote of all things, so I lent him that for the hour.

Even taking along your own laptop can be a hassle. I once went to a place and had a bag full of adapters to connect to projectors, and hit on the correct one, but couldn't physically connect my laptop because the VGA cable had been tied back with a cable tie, and there was no way Mr. IT was going to untie it for me!

I've generally found that exporting things to pdf is an excellent catchall.

4. 2 things for me regardless of task:
    (i) Avoid trying to be too flashy (for the reasons sara has given above) and have a back up plan
    (ii) Know exactly where the topic fits in with the National Curriculum evidecing specific examples
    ohhh and a third whilst I am here
    (iii) Avoid saying "Oh this is really nerve racking" followed by a chuckle

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I didn't have to do this for mine but some suggestions:
    • when you know the topic have a go yourself at some questions at the appropriate level
    • make sure you have identify all necessary prior knowledge (e.g. to draw a pie chart they need to be able to use a protractor and draw an angle)
    • think about where the misconceptions are likely to be.
    Good luck.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

[​IMG]

7. Hi All
    I have an interview at Greenwich for pgce Secondary Maths. Pls. guide me what to expect.[​IMG]
    Thanks.

8. Hi
    Your question is very similar to that originally posted, hence the responses will be similar to those above,
    Once you have a brief on the day and its format then people can help more.