1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Secondary English - Interview Presentation help!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by JustJen13, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I have just received an invitation to interview at the University of Birmingham that is a little different to my previous experiences (Teach First, Uni of Nottingham). In addition to the individual interview, group work and written assessment, they also ask for a 5 minute presentation, having considered the following topic:

"Teachers work within a framework of legislation, statutory guidance and school policies, with different lines of accountability. Within this framework they place particular importance on promoting equality of opportunity - challenging stereotypes, opposing prejudice, and respecting individuals regardless of age, gender, disability, colour, race, ethnicity, class, religion, marital status or sexual orientation"

In the light of that statement you should prepare a 5 minute presentation that demonstrates how you would respect individuals in the secondary English classroom.

You should focus on one of the following:
    disability
    colour
    (etc - see quote above for full list)

Having read this, I understand that they want us to show awareness of current issues in the classroom and suggest possible strategies for challenging the stereotypes involved in age/gender etc. But the problem I'm having is that I'm not a teacher yet, and have no idea where to begin - I don't want to go in sounding naive and declare that I'll change the world one student at a time, so I'm guessing that practical strategies are what they're looking for?

Has anyone had this interview before? Or would anyone be able to give general advice on their experiences of "respecting individuals" ? Because other than choice of literature, choice of discussed themes and not being a complete ageist/sexist/racist I'm a little bit stumped!

Thanks!

2. MissMinton

MissMinton New commenter

Hi Emily! I'm interviewing at Birmingham as well, for secondary English--interview the 3rd of December. My presentation is meant to demonstrate how I would oppose prejudice in the English classroom, and I'm similarly stumped. Glad to know I'm not the only one!
    Part of it is that the wording confuses me. By 'demonstrate', do they mean I should behave as if I really were in a classroom taking steps to oppose prejudice? That seems wrong, but it's what the word 'demonstrate' suggests. Did they just word it weirdly?
    Also, what form am I opposing prejudice in? Am I addressing incidents of prejudice between students, say a bullying or name-calling incident? Or am I addressing prejudice in a more global sense, perhaps discussing racism in To Kill a Mockingbird or talking about the power of words like 'gay' and '***' when they're used to hurt or insult people? Could I talk about any of these, or are they looking for a particular aspect that I'm just not reading correctly into the question?
    If anyone has any answers or resources they think would be helpful, I'd be very grateful. I tried to do some research but I don't have access to my university's databases anymore and it's cramping my style. It's also hard to do research when I don't know what question I'm answering. Help please?
    Victoria

3. Hey! I know you posted this a couple of years ago now, but I have the exact same interview at Birmingham next week and wondered if you might be able to give me any tips for the presentation? I'm completely stuck with what to write and it was suddenly sprung on me with only 5 days to prepare for this and another interview so im in a bit of a panic! Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

4. Hey, I know you posted this a while ago but I also have the same interview coming up and am completely stuck on how to do the presentation! Do you have any tips you could possibly give me? Anything would be appreciated, I suddenly had the interview sprung on me with only 5 days to prepare for this and another interview!

5. Hey, I know you posted this a while ago but I am also going for the same interview and am completely stuck on the presentation! I wondered if you might be able to give me any tips on the presentation? Anything would be appreciated! I suddenly had the interview sprung on me with only 5 days to prepare for this and another interview!