1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE science interview at middlesex university

Discussion in 'Science' started by buba99, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Hi
    I have an interview on friday and i want some advice on presenations. I have to do only a 10 min presentation on any science topic in the national curriculum and i am kinda scared and don't know how to start. I was thinking to talk about the periodic table and the elements etc, but i am not sure if i will have enough time to do this.

Also did anyone have an interview at middlesex university for pgce science course any tips? I don't know how to lay it out, i heard from someone do present it like how the teachers do with an objective at the start and some activities in the end.

Please i need an answer soon as i have the interview on friday and haven't started yet.

Thanks
    Rahma

2. Hi
    I have an interview on friday and i want some advice on presenations. I have to do only a 10 min presentation on any science topic in the national curriculum and i am kinda scared and don't know how to start. I was thinking to talk about the periodic table and the elements etc, but i am not sure if i will have enough time to do this.

Also did anyone have an interview at middlesex university for pgce science course any tips? I don't know how to lay it out, i heard from someone do present it like how the teachers do with an objective at the start and some activities in the end.

Please i need an answer soon as i have the interview on friday and haven't started yet.

Thanks
    Rahma

3. peterdevon

peterdevon New commenter

Good idea to set out your objectives at the start and to review them at the end. That is the Starter/main/plenary structure that most teachers use. Idea for subject: the difference between melting and dissolving, explained using the particle model. You could get other subject ideas from the "rich questions" on the NC site: http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/rich_questions/917/66/110190

4. Thank you for the idea. I also wanted to use a video from youtube explaining the idea, would that be a good idea or shall i just stick to the powerpoint presentation?
    Have you done your pgce already? do you have any other tips for the interview.

Thank you
    Rahma

5. Hi Rahma
    I've had an interview for the science PGCE at Middlesex Uni in 2009. Here's how it goes. You've been told you'll need to do a presentation on a science topic for 10 mins, but the guy who's interviewing you (i.e. Mr E.E) will cut it short to 5 mins. So be prepared for that. I suggest you make your presentation for 5 mins max. Make your science presentation something simple on a science topic you're really confident answering questions on and also on the level of secondary education, e.g the difference between a plant & animal cell. Also you'll be presenting infront of the other PGCE candidates as well. Involve them in the presentation by asking them simple questions (if you can sneakily write their names on a piece of paper or if you have a good memory just remember their names, and use this) and by doing simple group tasks e.g. for the above plant & animal cell example you could give them plain pieces of A4 paper and tell them to draw what they think is an animal & plant cell, or use handouts, scientific models, etc depending on your chosen topic. You could finish your presentation by doing a simple fill-in the blanks Q & A session. Don't forget to involve all the audience with this. Present as if you're already a qualified teacher with years of experience and loads of confidence & professionalism. (I'm thinking that as well Rehma, what's the point of doing the PGCE then if they're already looking for the finished product?!). Anyway, the interviewer will also involve you with the other candidates presentations by asking you & them questions, etc. Make sure you answer correctly in a positive manner. Be friendly to everybody. After the presentations, you'll be given a written task of some questions. The question will be how will you teach your presentation in real-life to a class of students. He won't give you much time for the written task, so make sure you put your ideas down on paper really fast, but also with good handwriting & leave no spelling mistakes. As stated in the e-mail sent to you from middlesex uni, don't forget to bring all your original documents as well, e.g. passports, certificates, etc. I suggest you put it in your bag the night before just to be on the safe side incase you're rushing on the day & forget them! He doesn't really ask you any difficult questions during the interview. Just look on the forum for pgce interview questions. Do exactly this: go to the tes homepage, click on Resources on your far right, on the bottom left you'll see Resources search, in keywords type in exactly " Interview question & answer bank - PGCE", select "English" as subject and "KS2" as phase. You'll see the resource post by trillion, download the word doc. Also check out the interactive interview on the tda.gov.uk website & also (http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetrainingprocess/makingyourapplication/theinteractiveinterview/interactiveinterviewhintsandtips.aspx) and (http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetrainingprocess/makingyourapplication/theinterview.aspx).
    Make sure you arrive their early at if you're taking the tube, i.e. at oakwood tube station as you'll need to take the mini shuttle bus (every 15 mins) to the left exit of the station to get to the Trent Park campus (in about 10 mins). It's a long, long walk from the tube station!
    If you need any more help let me know. I hope all this helps & good luck for friday at Middlesex [​IMG]

6. Hi again
    For the video from youtube, from experience doing presentations myself, I suggest to forget about it. You won't have time & most of the time these video attachments in Powerpoint go wrong & will make you stressed & panicky & will irritate the interviewer. I suggest stick to powerpoint, with simple background, colour, font, etc. Perhaps you could mention the video in the written task.

Tc :)

7. Hi
    Forgot to mention that the whole interview should last 45mins - 1 hour
    :)

8. Thank you very much for the information it's exactly what i needed. I am so nervous as well as this is my first interview and this is the best information i have got so far. Thank you again. How many people will there be roughly, just to get an idea and also is mr E.E the only person that will be interviewing me and did he ask you anything on current edcuational issues?

Rahma
    [​IMG]

9. Hi there its rahma again, i have a grade D for english and D for maths, so will i be tested for that and how would that work? Also do you remember any of the questions from the interview?
    Also did you get in at middlesex university?

Rahma

10. Hi. When I was there for interview there were 5 candidates and only Mr E.E was interviewing you. He didn't ask me stuff about current educational issues, but just to be on the safe side, be prepared anyway. Don't be nervous Rahma, try to practice and time your presentation infront of your friends/family as mush as you can. Make a list of possible interview questions and get them to ask you these questions. For the grade D for english and D for maths, on the GTTR website they say that Middlesex Uni has arrangements for external equivalency tests to be taken if there is a strong applicant without grade C or above in English & Maths. I don't know how that works as I already have above grade C's in English & Maths & haven't done the test. I personally think you won't be penalised for not having grade C's or above in English & Maths, if you've got a strong degree with possible work experience regarding teaching e.g. students' associates scheme or doing voluntary stuff. If he mentions this in the interview, just say that you'll take the equivalency tests offered at Middlesex Uni. If he says something like why you've got D's in English & Maths and you won't be a good teacher as a result of not getting good grades in English & Maths, just say that you overcome this by going to uni & getting a good degree or through work experience (if that's what you've done). Also don't forget to practice the written task question you'll get that I posted earlier.
    I'm still waiting for an answer from Middlesex :(
    Gudluck again & don't forget to get some decent sleep & get their early [​IMG]

11. tuku20

tuku20 New commenter

Hello there,

Have been reading your posts with interest. I have a PGCE Primary interview at Middlesex soon and am petrified! How did it go for both of you? Mine starts at 10am and finishes at 3pm - what will they make us do? I have not been told to prepare a presentation - do you think i may have to do one on the day? Did you have group tasks? If so, what did you do in them? Any input greatly received. Thanks!

12. Hi tuku20, I've only done an interview with Middlesex for PGCE Secondary Science , so for the PGCE Primary I can advise you to look at https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/166655/3184769.aspx#3184769. See post no 6 by
    lauren_rosanne 12/01/2009 at 23:17. The post has some helpful info re PGCE Primary at Middlesex. Hope this helps [​IMG]