1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Science (Chemistry) with an American Bio degree

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by lemonjaffacake, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Ah, ok. Well I would bet that 50% of the science component of the degree is chemistry. There are also a bunch of humanities and so on that we have to take in the States that are not really relevant. I'm happy enough teaching Biology...I thought Chemistry may give me a better chance of being employed at the end of the course, but maybe not!

2. Hi biology places have been severely cut by the government. That said, in general providers want about 50% of a degree to be in the subject in which you wish to train. It seems to me that what you would benefit from is a subject knowledge enhancement course which would provide up to date relevant chemistry to level 1 undergraduate. At present here are a number of providers who offer this, the only problem is that the government have not said if this pre-teacher training course will be continued.

I will be at the London recruitment event on the 11th and 12th March on the university of Sussex stand so do feel free to pop by and enquire. You don't have to identify yourself by your TES name.

James