1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Science bursary - means tested?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by miranda-s, Aug 1, 2019.

1. miranda-s

miranda-s New commenter

I'm posting on behalf of a friend who is due to start a PGCE in Science this year. He was under the impression that the £26k bursary was a fixed amount for everyone, but he's just been told by Student Finance that it's means tested and will depend on his wife's income. They've also told him that he has to apply for it through his university, but the university say he has to go through Student Finance!
    Can anyone shed any light on this please? Is the bursary means tested or not, and how does he apply for it?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  2. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

It shouldn't be means tested, but then again I didn't take out a loan as well, as I paid fees from my bursary (MFL). It sounds like there is some confusion. AFAIK means testing shouldn't come into it and I would ask the folk from Get Into Teaching.

3. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Also, in my experience, it should be the course provider/DfE that manages the bursary, hence it should fall more on the uni. I would recommend asking the DfE/Get Into Teaching bods.

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It isn’t means tested. The DFE gives us 27k and we give that to the trainee in ten monthly instalments. Now the fees, they are a loan. You may have children for which further money is paid. This could be means tested. Student finance don’t operate the bursary, the provider does. Student finance offer maintenance grants and loans.

Stiltskin likes this.
  5. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

Sounds as though he’s confusing maintenance loan (from student finance) and the bursary (from government via their uni/course provider).

He can apply to student finance for a fees loan (which isn’t means tested) and also a maintenance loan, there’s a portion of the latter that isn’t means tested, roughly 4K off the top of my head, and th remainder is dependent on household or parental income depending on age and circumstances.

In addition to any loan from student finance, the uni administers the bursaries which are not means tested and there’s little in the way of application, for mine I literally just filled a form with bank details and highest qualification.