1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE school observation - documented evidence

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sakurabamboo, Feb 16, 2019.

1. sakurabamboo

sakurabamboo New commenter

Hi folks,

I'm about to start my school observation placement soon for PGCE application. Do you ask your host school to write you a letter to prove you've completed how many days of observation on what subjects? Will the universities require such documented evidence? I'm not sure if schools are used to write such letters. Can anybody share a template?

Thank you!

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You don't need written confirmation that you've done this.

Be prepared to talk about the placement at interview though. Make sure you talk to teachers and TAs while you're there, ask about workload, how the school is run, how your subject is taught, how behaviour is managed. Make some notes somewhere in case you need to refer to them later. You might be asked to plan a lesson for interview, so pay attention to how lessons are structured.

agathamorse and simonCOAL like this.
  3. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Good advice from @blueskydreaming.
    You need to show that you understand what the job is really about.

It’s not all about ‘making a difference’ and thinking that having baby sat a niece is enough experience of working with children to enable you to teach.

Always good to ask for advice. Well done.
    Good luck.

blueskydreaming and agathamorse like this.