1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Research Project on Questioning

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by claire176, Sep 5, 2017.

1. claire176

claire176 New commenter

Hi,

I'm on my final placement of my secondary Maths PGCE and aware that I need to complete a research assignment before I complete my course. I want to make sure I capture all the data I need before I finish my placement so I can write it all up later.

I thought I would do my project on questioning in the classroom and what it means for learning. Hopefully this should make me think about my own practice and engaging with my pupils in the classroom.

Has anyone done anything similar and got any books that they could recommend as being particularly useful. Also I'm not yet quite sure how I would structure questionnaires to capture the information needed. If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would be incredibly grateful. I've not done any research since I was last an uni nearly 20 years ago!!!

Thanks

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Why would you need a questionnaire? Would it not be better to analyse your own use of questioning in the classroom? Have an impact on your own teaching by trying new things?

For my research project (English) I did a small scale research project looking at ways of supporting new-to-English EAL students in the classroom - I looked at research and did things in the classroom, to see if there was any impact (just over a half term).

This assignment is not like a dissertation, so you don't need to go in-depth or find anything new, you're just looking at applying ideas to your own teaching. If you're worried then speak to uni mentor and placement mentor for ideas and advice.

happypug likes this.