1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Research Ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hhaigh98, Oct 31, 2019.

1. hhaigh98

hhaigh98 New commenter

Hi!

I am going to be completing a research project in January for my PGCE. I have read the posts that already exist and I appreciate that the ideas should come from myself but I am just looking for something to get me started. I had a few original ideas but these have either been used by someone else already or my research tutor doesn't like them.

Unfortunately all I know about the placement is that it's in Year 1 or Year 2. I know nothing about the school or anything like that so the project has to be quite generic which I think is what i am finding difficult.

I am honestly open to any suggestions just to get met started!

Thanks x

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

What would you like to research? What aspect of teaching or education would it interest you to find out about? I suggest you make a list.

Take your ideas to your tutor. They are the best person to give you guidance and advice.

3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

If you have a favourite subject, it may be a good idea to do some research related to this as you're likely to find it interesting. Alternatively, pick something you don't know much about so that you can improve your understanding of the topic.

If you want a research topic that your tutor has probably not seen PGCE students do much on before, you could look into:
    • levels of (eco) anxiety in children of different age groups and how teachers/parents might help them
    • how much children's perceptions of gender roles differ from that of children their age from their parents/grandparents generations and what still needs doing to improve the situation
    • which methods are most effective when teaching reading/mental maths/modern languages/etc
    • comparing the benefits/drawbacks of the gamification of learning.

4. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

It's been a while since I did my PGCE so things might have changed but personally I wouldn't worry about trying to be original - it's not like you are doing a PhD - and so often you are constrained by school requirements/what is practical/what you have time to do/what the university wants, especially if you are being expected to do action research etc. and I'm assuming you will have to do a literature review so you want something you can actually find established opinions and research on relatively easily given I'm assuming you'll be on placement around the same time and have all that work to do as well.

5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Research something that you will find interesting and helpful. I researched ability grouping in maths and was able to look into mastery, student perceptions of themselves and developing children's confidence in maths. You could research how teachers can support children's mental health and SEN would be a good area to look into. Most of all, check that there is enough quality research on the subject and that it is helpful for your future practice.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'd possibly wait until you get to the school to decide.
    No point you wanting to research the benefits of play based learning if the school is very traditional and not open to play.
    Or wanting to research active phonics vs spoken phonics and your school follows a scheme and won't deviate from it.

Stiltskin likes this.
  7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Agree with @caterpillartobutterfly - you will be better off waiting until you know what setting you are going in to to decided a focus. If there's a general area though that you are interested in then you could do a little reading up around the subject. You may be better at reading up different educational research methods though. Cohen's book will be in your uni library and a good place to start