1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE research Idea please

Discussion in 'Science' started by dkarana, Jan 30, 2011.

1. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Hello there,
    I am doing my PGCE and want to do my research assignment around critical thinking of students,creativity and science teaching.i cant come to decide what and hos to work on?
    Please help.Any suggestion will be of great value to me.
    Thanks!!

2. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Hello there,
    I am doing my PGCE and want to do my research assignment around critical thinking of students,creativity and science teaching.i cant come to decide what and hos to work on?
    Please help.Any suggestion will be of great value to me.
    Thanks!!

3. Do something simple like how can using graphs support students in drawing science conclusions and putting together ideas.

4. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thank you so much sideshow :)

5. Presumably by now you have been on a placement. Think about what YOU saw happening that interested you. It might be difficult to stick at it when you are researching someone else's problem.
    Also, check the details of your assignment. If there is a literature search requirement, check that there is some suitable literature out there before confirming your plan. I recently did an essay for an MA and found that the supervisors couldn't legislate for the fact that there was no suitable literature. They had "assessment objectives" to cover and that was one of them.
    Good luck, I found it interesting and stimulating to have to think about what I had been doing on auto-pilot.

6. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thanks Mike,
    I did not find anything interesting to work on.I am totally confuse,probably not in the right frame of mind.Will take your suggestion again once I come up with something.It has to be school based research.
    Look forward to any other suggestion:)

7. OK then, one with plenty of research literature to check out is assessment. Challenge the effectiveness of assessment for learning. Is it widespread in the school? Do the children / parents understand it?
    We all "do" assessment. Many may say, "Assessment for Learning is common sense is what we all do" ...but then never actually practise it.
    Another one (without as much literature) is "Are the policies in this school being applied by all staff?" Take one "rule" or take them all. Are they applied as per the letter of the policy or has some modification taken place? How are children / staff supposed to know what is acceptable if some rules are ignored and some others are pursued vehemently?

8. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Great !!
    Thank you so much for the ideas Mike,I really liked the assessment for learning one.
    I am thinking along the lines of 'Creativity in assessment for learning',can you please guide me along this line.Your suggestions are much valued!