1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Research! Help please!!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by dkarana, Apr 16, 2011.

1. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Hi everyone,I started my research on 'What type of questioning
    develop critical thinking in students'.I did manage to gather some data
    but now I am totally lost.I have not been able to reach any
    conclusion.Any ideas are welcome.I am even ready to change my topic.As
    is evident from my desperation I am stuck completely.
    Looking forward to the response
    thanks

2. Ones that don't require a yes/no answer. Jokes aside have considered Blooms Taxonomy.

3. Questioning that gets the student/pupil to delve behind their answer. Making them think about why something is as it is. basic example what is 3 x 2, answer 6. How do you know that's the right answer, 'explain' and they provide more information to justify it as being correct, this develops critical thinking as the questions are questioning the answer. So questioning needs to lead to the provision of an explaination and justification. This then helps develop that line of critical thinking that is needed when they are solving more complex problems or exploring a theory. Have you researched at what age chn start to develop critical thinking in its simplest form and the development from that point? I think you have an interesting topic and wish you all the best with it.

4. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thank you Kettlebabes,
    Very relevant feedback.I got some motivation after reading your comment.Will appreciate any further advice from you.

5. Glad it helped. my thinking is that chn start this process at the pre school stage of asking 'why' to everything, you give them an answer to their question and they say 'why,' you provide another answer and they say 'why' and so on and so on, until as an adult, we say in exasperation ' because it is!' However at some point they stop this continuing questioning and the roles need to be reversed with someone saying 'why' to their answers. So could it be claimed that their early questioning is indeed the initial signs of critical thinking, or maybe it's not. I really don't know enough about it, but that's why I think you have an interesting topic.
    All the best.

6. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thanks KB,
    Great mind opener.I can get going now.What a great idea taking the perspective of age,I never thought on these lines.Can you also suggest how to begin my introduction?
    I really apreciate your help.

7. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thanks cashmygold,
    I hadn't though about Blooms taxonomy.Worth using it.Thanks again.