1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Requirements

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by bowesy2008, Jun 11, 2011.

1. hello everyone,
    I was recently successful in an interview regarding my PGCE PCET in sport application at the University of Sunderland. On the letter it informed me that my degree qualification must be 2.2 or above.
    I have just completed my degree, however I had troubles with my dissertation due to tutor frequently working abroad and we worked out that my best option was to simply go for a pass degree as oppose to honours.
    I really dont want to lose out on the opportunity of completing a PGCE, it is my dream. Is there any way I can get around this, for instance I know it is possible to complete your honours (do dissertation on its own with max 40%) in a single year. Does anyone know if it would be possible to do this in conjunction with my PGCE? Or any other means of getting onto the course with my current degree?
    Thanks, John

2. Can you not apply for special dispensation due to your lack of mentor availability. My dissertation was awful but ended up with the same grade as my other modules due to special dispensation as I travelled from derby to hull to see my tutor 3 times and he didnt show or made excuses once I was there. I know someone who got it for stress......
    just an idea

3. I agree, you need to apply for mitigation. At the very least, speak to a student advisor and voice your concerns.
    Call the ITT provider and explain your situation. What's a pass degree equivilant to? What would your degree class be without the dissertation? Were you pulling in 2:1s or were you struggling to maintain a 2:2? These things might make a difference.