1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Reading List

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by EconomicsTeacherinChina, Dec 6, 2019.

1. EconomicsTeacherinChina

EconomicsTeacherinChina New commenter

Good morning,

I am currently in the process of applying for/starting next year a PGCE (distance learning). I have not made a final decision yet as to which institution. I am aware of the criticisms of the courses, which are discussed extensively elsewhere.

What I would like to gather together (and I hope that this will be useful to others) is a pre-reading list of essential textbooks and journal articles that people doing a PGCE would recommend from their own courses. Do you have any suggestions of 'essential reading for those doing a PGCE'?

Many thanks

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

There is absolutely no point in reading anything not recommended by the course provider you are going with.

You might end up reading something that totally contradicts the philosophy of the course you are doing, and get confused about what you are having to pretend to agree with, and lose marks.

Just read what you are told to read.

3. EconomicsTeacherinChina

Amusingly sardonic, but I would still like to get a handle on the key texts that are fairly common required reading

4. Corvuscorax

I suggest you concentrate on consolidating subject knowledge

5. EconomicsTeacherinChina

I have a masters degree, my breadth and depth of subject knowledge is fine. I'm not really sure why you're keen to derail the thread, it could be a useful resource.

6. Corvuscorax

how am I derailing? I am answering. A masters isn't necessarily particularly helpful. I have a masters in my subject. Less than 2% of what I have taught over the years has been related to my masters. If you want to do some reading in preparation for a PGCE, I would suggest you look at the specifications and concentrate on subject knowledge. Don't just look at one exam board, because different exam boards sometimes have different definitions of words. Don't read books on teaching, becsue they will all contradict each other, and what matters is that you know what the person assessing you wants, nothing else.

7. EconomicsTeacherinChina

Can we just start from a position that maybe I WANT to read more books and journals on teaching? Moreover, ones that might also be useful to cite in essays in support of said qualification. Hence, this thread.