1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE? QTS? NQT?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by pinkflipflop, May 27, 2008.

1. PGCE = Post graduate certificate in education
    QTS = Qualified teacher status
    NQT = Newly qualified teacher

2. After having completed your degree you can do a post graduate certificate in education (PGCE) at the end of some of this course you get your qualified teacher satus (QTS). You then have to get a job and teach for at least 2 terms to complete your newly qualified teacher (NQT) which is a sort of probationary period. Hope his helps :)

3. PGCE = Postgraduate certificate education. 1 full time year at Uni if you already have a degree. It's not the only way to become a qualified teacher though.

QTS = Qualified Teacher status. This is what all teachers must have in order to teach in the state sector (5-16 year olds). There are different ways of getting QTS. You might do a PGCE, Graduate Teacher Programme which leads to QTS or a Bachelors degree (Bed or BA/BsC).

NQT = Newly qualified teacher. This is what you are when you've got your QTS! All NQTs need to do 3 terms induction: when employed (or long term supply) you are mentored, have lessons observed, have 10% reduced timetable etc. On completion of this, your QTS is confirmed.

Hope that helps.

4. Oh OK, so im starting PGCE in sept...on completion i wil have QTS..but will still be classed as a NQT until i have completed the 2 yrs of working...Whatis expected of me in the 2 yrs? any exams or things?

5. The PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education) is the academic qualification that you get on completing the course.

QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) is what you must have in order to teach in schools - you can't teach in schools without QTS! You can get awarded a PGCE without QTS, but it's quite worthless that way if you actually want to be a teacher. The way in which you achieve QTS is by meeting all 33 of the QTS standards, which you need to build up evidence for throughout the PGCE year.

NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) is what you will be when you take up your first teaching post - assuming, of course that you pass the PGCE and are awarded QTS! You also have to pass your NQT year in order to continue as a teacher - again, this involves building up evidence for another set of standards.

Hope that makes it a little clearer, it was as clear as mud to me back in September when I started!

6. Hi there

The PGCE is one teaching qualification you can do to ACHIEVE Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). This is what you need to teach in the state sector in the UK. Most, though not all, PGCEs lead automatically to QTS by helping you meet the QTS 'Standards'. When you get QTS you can start your first job, at which point you become an NQT - Newly Qualified Teacher. This entitles you to special support and a reduced workload in your first year of teaching. During this first year, you must meet a second lot of 'Standards' - those for NQTs - in effect, the first teaching year is a probationary year that you must 'pass' in order to be signed off as a fully fledged teacher.

HTH.

7. Thanks for your replies...that has helped loads thanks! I was naive to think after PGCE i would be finished with being assessed and be a qualified teacher! Still a long way to go!!

8. NQT stage is just a year - not two. There are no exams, but a list of 'standards' - about 30 - that you must show you have met during that period of teaching. They are similar to those you must how you have met during your time gaining QTS.

9. Just to confuse you further you can achieve QTS through a number of different routes -GTP and teach first as well as PGCE. GTP =graduate teacher programme -this is where you meet the 33 QTS standards whilst teaching in a school. This also takes a year. Teach first is similar although you have to have a 1st class degree and go teach in the scummiset schools (this confuses me). Each route leads to this QTS which is a big list that you have to show to uni, it's things like -"demonstrate high expectations of students" or "show that you have supported special needs students in your classes". Once you have achieved these QTS standards and passed skills tests in literacy, numeracy and ICT (google tda skills tests) you are allowed to be a teacher. At this point you become a NQT. Being an NQT lasts for a year, you have an 80% timetable and you will be observed every so often. You have to meet some more standards. After this you can call yourself a fully qualified teacher.

10. You will be assessed throughout your career.

Ofsted
    Work/planning scrutinies
    If you want to move up the payscale
    etc.

11. invincible

invincible New commenter

Just to confuse even more...

Even without doing the NQT year you are still a fully qualfied teacher (that is what QTS is). You need only do the NQT year if you plan to teach in the state system. If not and you want to teach in independent schools or, if lucky, abroad, you do not need to complete the NQT year.

12. Technically, to teach outside the state sector, you don't need QTS either!

13. invincible

invincible New commenter

Can also be true although when applying for posts overseas they ask for a teaching qualification from your home country.

14. I wouldn't worry about it too much -ur on the PGCE so focus on getting through that!

15. Hi, help please i've done a PGCE but haven't done my first NQT year as I have just been doing part time supply. Is there a time period in which you have to do this in

16. No the induction year has no time limit for starting or finishing. It can be done part time as well, provided you are working for at least a term in length at any school, so it can be done over two years. he only time limit is on how long you can work as a daily supply teacher without induction in a state school. The limit is five years from the date of gaining QTS. That s aid, there is no legal requirement for academies to provide induction and you could legally still do daily supply in a free school or academy even after the five years. The Sage

17. marie46a

marie46a New commenter

I have a PGCE (11-18), QTS , pCert Ed(FE) and have been teaching for 10 years in FE.
    Prior to that I was teaching in schools.

I know that from 2012 the QTLS was deemed to be equal in status to QTS.and that teachers who hold QTLS were deemed qualify to teach in FE.
    Do teachers who hold QTS deemed qualifiedto teach in FE?

If no is it necessary for me to do QTLS?