1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE- ProfGCE- QTLS

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Ariellerose, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Ariellerose

Ariellerose New commenter

Hi

Im looking for some advice and help. I am going to try break down the questions so I hope they will still make sense.

I am due to start a ProfGCE in post compulsory education/ lifelong learning, in September, but I have also been considering applying for a PGCE (postgraduate cert in education) all I have managed to find about the differences for these courses is that the first is level 6, and the second is level 7 and gives you credits towards a masters. Does anyone else know of any other differences?

I have also read that after each of these course I can apply for QTLS, do I have to have this before I can work in FE? And I have also heard that if I do obtain QTLS along with either the ProfGCE or PGCE that I will also be able to work in secondary education, does anyone know if this is correct?

If I did want to have the option of working in secondary education as well as FE would I need to do a placement in a school as well as a college while I study?

Thank you for any help or advice anyone can give.

2. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

In answer to your questions:

1. As you said, the post grad cert is a higher level and includes master credits. The only other difference that I’m aware of from the experience of my former colleagues who studied the prof grad cert is that they studied it on the job in modular fashion rather than at uni before getting a teaching job. However, the part time post grad cert is like this as well.

2. Unlike school PGCEs, you get QTLS after doing your PGCE by joining SET and completing and submitting a detailed portfolio. By the way, the QTLS status depends upon remaining a member of SET.

3. Yes, a PGCE for FE with QTLS can be recognised as equivalent to QTS if Head Teachers wish to according to the 2012 amendment to the 2003 Education Act. I know this from my own experience and of working in schools both before and after getting QTLS. I have been treated as fully qualified to teach in schools since then, although some tes people have said that some heads are still sniffy about it. I would apply for jobs and see what happens. If a Head is sniffy, don’t work there.

4. No, your placement will be wherever your uni sends you, although I was required to arrange a 2 week shadowing period in a local secondary school before starting my PGCE course.

Hope the above helps and good luck with whichever course you decide to take (I recommend the post grad cert pre service cert if you’re not already working in a college and have no previous teaching experience)!

3. Ariellerose

Hi thanks for your help.

I’m glad that if I do the QTLS it will give me the option of secondary as well.

One of the colleges I have a applied to for the prof grad, does the placement internally. And they did at one point say there was a good chance of employment after this. it’s not where I would like to do my placement ideally, but the possibility of employment after is swaying me slightly.

I currently work as classroom support at a university, but this position will end in June so I won’t be able to do the pgce in service. But I do have some experience. Would you still recommend the same course for me?

4. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

If you can, try to get on a course that offers QTS. You can only begin the process of applying for QTLS after you have completed your course. You need to be employed and must register and subscribe to SET. It costs a further £485 to be assessed for QTLS.

Once obtained you have to maintain your membership to retain QTLS, if not it lapses. QTS, once obtained is for life and registered with the DFE.

5. Ariellerose

There’s not many pgce course for fe, and none that I have found offer QTS as a part of it, they all say after the course.

6. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

No course in FE offers QTS, if you can find a PGCE that offers training in schools with QTS then do that. Once you have it, that's it, no further fees. You can only begin the process for QTLS after you have finished your PGCE and then have to submit evidence gathered over 6 months or a year. You have to pay to maintain it.

On a PGCE with QTS, you do 1 year (at the moment) as an NQT and that's it, fully qualified. PGCE in FE, 1 year, then 1 year for QTLS then continue to pay subscription fee. It's true that QTLS is seen as equivalent to QTS but not all schools agree.

ATfan likes this.
  7. Ariellerose

But it no fe course offer it with qts, I would have to do a secondary education pgce? While I would like the option of working in secondary schools it is only an option and I do ideally want to work in fe

8. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Then go for your original choice.