1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Primary

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Logles22, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Hi
    Please can someone advise on the best A'levels for entry onto a PGCE Primary course. Obviously core subjects are best but are some core subjects better than others? Which is most highly regarded Maths, English Lit, English Lang, Sciene or the currently popular modern foreign languages such as French?
    Thanks

2. Hi
    Please can someone advise on the best A'levels for entry onto a PGCE Primary course. Obviously core subjects are best but are some core subjects better than others? Which is most highly regarded Maths, English Lit, English Lang, Sciene or the currently popular modern foreign languages such as French?
    Thanks

3. Hi hun,
    I would expect the core subjects would be most beneficial so english, maths and science. I don't think it would matter which english, however, to be honest the A'levels appear to not be that important. I got B, D, D grades in english, psychology and business studies, it made no difference. What they want to see is how you draw apon those subjects or your experience and relate it to teaching.
    HTH

4. You only need the core subjects to GSCE level (grade C or above) so while it probably desirable to study at least some of the core subjects to A Level it is not essential. If you are choosing your A Levels based on whether they will get you on a pgce course bare in mind you will need to do a degree first before the pgce so make sure that your subjects will allow you to do a degree course that you will enjoy. Also if you are still in secondary education i would suggest that you try and keep your options open, a lot can change between sixth form and end of uni, you may well change your mind about what career you want to do etc, so dont close yourself off to other careers through your a level choices. If you have already done a levels then I wouldnt worry about your subject choices, i think it is unlikely that it will affect your chances of getting a primary pgce as long as you have at least C grades in the core subjects at GCSE.