1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE primary

Discussion in 'Primary' started by catbrumby, Sep 9, 2011.

1. I am about to start my PGCE in upper primary, and as the start date gets closer I am getting more and more terrified! I am so excited at the same time but I keep thinking I am going to make a rubbish teacher!! Does anyone have any advice?

2. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Just realise that you will learn most of what you need to learn on your practices. Make the most of them. Also, everyone freaks out the first time in front of a class - it is all part of the learning curve which is very steep. No matter what, be confident or the children will sense it. Don't try to be the children's friend - I did and it is not the relationship you want with a class (that sounds awful, but you will learn to gage it right). Finally, if you make it through your PGCE in one piece (I did; just about), it will never be that hard again; stressful, but nowhere near as much paperwork (although there is still quite a bit) or anxiety. Good luck

3. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Agreed.
    I have since learnt...

When you walk in the classroom you are a character. 'Teacher' you, as far as they're concerned, has one aim in life - to educate them.
    Some kids will like you (which is not actually you, but 'teacher' you). Some will dislike you ('teacher' you'). Caring about whether they like you or not will only serve to empower them and disempowers you.

4. Focus on the excited. Teaching is a great job- it has its ups and downs but after many years I wouldn't want to do anything else.
    I think PGCE is tough but nowhere near as tough as your first year in the job for real- and then it gets a bit easier!
    Look and listen. Take on board every piece of advice- DO NOT see it as criticism- teachers are rarely thanked and can be their own (and each others) worst critics- so don't take it personally!
    Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek advice and don't be afraid to try things/ideas for yourself.
    Enjoy being with the children but don't take any nonsense. Agree with previous poster that placements are most important- but it's a bit like a driving test- you only really learn to drive (teach) after you pass!
    Become super organised (I'm still working on this one- so don't beat yourself up- but equally don't let things pile up!)
    Think of yourself as a great teacher in the making- you will undoubtedly make mistakes but that's how we learn.
    Good luck.