1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Primary with a Sociology degree?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by wantoteach1, Jan 20, 2011.

1. I'm currently in my second year of university studying Sociology. I hope to apply for the PGCE Primary later this year, however, would my Sociology degree put me at a disadvantage as it is not a English, Maths or Science course?
    Also, I was hoping to apply to IOE, however, my A Level grades were B, C, D, the 'D' being in English Literature due to one bad module grade. Should I not apply to IOE because of this?
    Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you! :)

2. I'm currently in my second year of university studying Sociology. I hope to apply for the PGCE Primary later this year, however, would my Sociology degree put me at a disadvantage as it is not a English, Maths or Science course?
    Also, I was hoping to apply to IOE, however, my A Level grades were B, C, D, the 'D' being in English Literature due to one bad module grade. Should I not apply to IOE because of this?
    Any help would be much appreciated, Thank you! :)

3. Hi
    The criteria is for a degree and English, Maths and Science GCSE passes. As long as you have those, you can apply - under current rules anyway. I've just got a PGCE place and I did a Sociology degree (many years ago...!)
    I also applied for GTP and I had to show them that I had knowledge of subjects on the primary curriculum.
    Your enthusiasm, commitment to teaching and to children are just as important IMHO
    Good luck
    Clive

4. Yeah I have all the necessary GCSE passes :)
    I agree, I've been working with children for the past 7 years at my local tution centre, so its something I really want to pursue :)

Thank you for the reply!!

5. I'm currently on a primary PGCE and i did a sociology degree! I did however do my dissertation on sociology and education which I thought might help me a bit with it not being a core subject! But actually sociology can be seen to be really positive for teaching ... all the research we do/examine means you have good reflection skills, vital for teaching! It also means you have the practice at seeing lots of different points of view and how you can apply theory to practice! Also all the essays you have to do looks good to universities in terms of you being able to pass that aspect of the course as well! I certainly mentioned that at interview! I know its not as important as the teaching aspect but still, you have to be able to write masters level essays so any practice is good to show off! Just make sure you have lots of experience in schools, i think that def helped my application in the long run! I talked about sociology for a little while but mainly my school experience! Good Luck :eek:)!

6. Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it! Ahh that makes me feel so much better, I'm thinking to do my dissertation related to education too! Thank you for the tips if I even get an interview it will help me a lot! :)
    Where are you studying for the PGCE? :)
    Thank you again!

7. I am Reading University for my PGCE :eek:) I highly recommend it ... it is a brilliant course for primary! :eek:)

8. Hopefully I get a place somewhere lol! Thank you!! :)