1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Primary: what male teachers should wear

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Jarv, Aug 30, 2011.

1. I'm going to be starting a PGCE Primary with French at the Institute
    of Education, and I'm a bit lost as to what I should be wearing on
    placements. I remember there being a thread about clothes on a PGCE quite recently, but as far as I recall it had to do with women's fashion and didn't really concern male clothes. In the school where I did my observation placement prior to
    the interview, there
    were no male teachers, and obviously I don't remember what the one male
    teacher in my primary school wore. I did work in some French
    primary schools through the British Council where there were male
    teachers, but I got the impression overall from comparing what female teachers wear in the two countries that French teachers wore
    clothes that may be considered too casual for British standards.
    Equally, I can still remember high school and its teachers dressed in
    full-on suits, but I again realise that I shouldn't necessarily compare primary and secondary dress codes.

Now, when I was doing my observation placement, I wore a
    shirt and trousers (on most days with a tie), except for one day where I
    was with a Reception class and wore something pretty casual due to
    expecting to be moving around a bit more (stripy long-sleeved
    tee/sweater, dark jeans and Converse trainers). I was therefore thinking
    about going for something informal or smart casual, basically not an
    all-out suit and tie, but at the very least a shirt and nice trousers,
    as well as a tie most likely. I would probably also include a tweed or
    courdroy jacket, or maybe a fancy sweater. For shoes, I would go
    for some smart brown or black shoes.

So, the question is now: is what I'm picturing acceptable? Thanks in advance for your replies. [​IMG]

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

What you're planning seems great. In my one week primary placement, I only saw the headmaster wearing a full on suit. When it got a bit colder, I and the few other males wore jumpers rather than jackets. I'd always expect to see a male teacher in a shirt, smart-ish trousers and shoes that aren't trainers, and best to go with a tie as well until you get a better idea. :)

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Male teachers have it easy, it's very basic you wear the basis of what every professional man around the world wears - suit trousers (or just black/blue smart trousers, the type you pick up for £20 in M&S) and a shirt/tie. You will want a full on suit for interviews/posh events at school. During the winter most men will wear a jumper over their shirt and tie. In some schools the men don't have to wear a tie, but in most you will.

4. amariB

amariB New commenter

I think it's pretty unusual for male teachers to wear a tie in Primary, though...at least from my experience (I also did PGCE primary at the IoE). A shirt and/or smart jumper, trousers that aren't jeans and smart-ish shoes should be fine, but as others have said, take your lead from what other teachers are wearing.

5. And finally, boxers not a thong! Too much harassment from female members of staff who may be eyeing you up as the only piece of eye candy in the school otherwise!!!

6. In all the primaries I have worked in none of the male teachers wore ties (one of the heads was a bloke and he did). Generally smart black/brown or navy trousers and shirts. Short sleeved or long sleeves. Also jumpers in the winter. On PE days it is acceptable to wear tracksuits and trainers too. I have also seen guys in primary wear those chino type trousers too.
    LOL @ the boxers/thong post :)

7. blobcarp

blobcarp New commenter

I'm no expert, starting PGCE this month, but I wondered why people said that male teachers don't tend to wear ties in primaries? all the teachers i have seen wear them and surely it helps with the old 'role model' status of teachers tie is done up properly, setting standards to the alpha males of the class (especially year 5/6's)?? Just a query!!

8. amariB

amariB New commenter

I think there are better ways of getting children to respect you than dressing like you're in a business meeting.... And also, if working with younger children (KS1 or early years) you often end up sitting on the floor/crouching down to their level, as well as doing a lot of messy painting/sticking....formal clothing just isn't practical. The only teachers I've ever seen in a shirt and tie in primary are SLT.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Almost all primary male teachers I have known have worn a shirt/tie. The only ones who haven't are the ones who are never taken seriously, by staff or children, and have little to offer to be honest.

I would say that if you want to be an excellent teacher, taken seriously, and make a real career out of teaching, then a shirt/tie is probably the way to go.

Washable, not dry clean only, but other than that totally fine for all ages in primary.

10. amariB

amariB New commenter

I guess we've just worked in very different schools, and will have to agree to disagree.... I know that the best teacher I've ever worked with (a male Reception/Y1 teacher) never wore a tie- the kids respected him and behaved impeccably, and this was at a really tough school in terms of behaviour. He certainly didn't have 'little to offer'...

joshbulloss likes this.
  11. Slippersandagoodbook

Slippersandagoodbook New commenter

As a KS1 male I always wear a tie (usually under a jumper) and it has not been an impediment to sitting on the floor/crouching/general movement around the classroom! I have never got any paint on a tie but trousers/sleeves are a completely different matter!
    It is personal preference whether you wear a tie or not. I do wear a tie because I believe that it adds professionalism to a job that sometimes lacks respect from parents and other exteranl adults.
    I would always dress 'smart' first and then 'dress down' if you deem it appropriate.