1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Primary @ Plymouth Uni

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by loobyloo74, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Hi there, I have just accepted a place on the PGCE Primary @ Plymouth University to start Sept. 2011.
    I'm really excited to have got onto the course, and am hoping to get some info from people-in-the-know as to what to expect from here on in...
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.... Are there any things that you wish you'd known before you started your PGCE year? Are there any books that you couldn't be without?? Is every day at Uni 9-6 or does it vary? How are you finding your placements? (I think you get the picture as to the type of thing I'm looking for..!!!)
    I hope you're all enjoying your busy year (!) and that it's all going well.
    Thanks in advance....

2. puffinjen

puffinjen New commenter

Hi! I'm doing the PGCE at Plymouth at the moment and am loving it! In terms of books I'd say don't go crazy buying loads, the library is very well stocked and you'll soon get a feel for which ones you will use when you're actually teaching and so you can just buy those ones. They do spend ages telling you that you HAVE to buy all of these books but I dont think it's necessary. The days vary hugely, not many 9 - 6 days (although I have one tomorrow!!!) but there is obviously a huge amount of work to do outside of uni hours so thinking of it as a 9 - 6 course is probably best! But if like me you like to get home, get your pj's on and do some work at home then you'll love it :) I've just finished my second placement and have absolutely loved both of them so far - it's my first day back at uni tomorrow and I'm already counting down the days til I get back to school - I guess that's a good way to feel though considering the job I want to do!!!
    If you want to send me your email address and keep in touch I'd be more than happy to, I would have loved to have had someone who had just been there and done it, especially at the same uni since they all seem to vary quite a bit with how they do things.
    Congrats on getting a place on the course, I hope you have as great a time as I am so far!

3. Hi
    Congratualtions. I've just accepted a place on the same course for this September and I am so excited too. We had to wait so long to find out!
    Just thought I'd have a quick look on here to see if anyone else had heard anything and saw your post. It's handy to know about how other people have found the course so thanks.
    [​IMG]

4. Hi, I'm really sorry for this late reply, but I've only just noticed your post...
    I have to say that my overriding impression of the whole process was how (relatively!) relaxed it was - the people organising the interview morning did their very best to put us all at ease.
    The morning started with a chat about what the interviewers were looking for, what the course is like etc. ( I had already attended an Open Evening, which I would recommend - it gives you some good ideas about how to approach your personal statement and what to focus on during the interview process).
    We then had a group discussion about a research article which had been sent to us a couple of weeks earlier. I would say that it is important to have some really good opinions/ideas about this article, as it forms the basis for the literacy task, too.
    Following the discussion, we had a numeracy task ( really quite simple - ordering decimals, rearranging equations etc) and the literacy task already mentioned.
    Then came the interview - this was done in pairs, which I found far less intimidating than on a one-to-one basis. There were no "trick" questions - as long as you have really considered why you want to teach and thought about what your individual strengths and weaknesses are, then it's really not too stressful at all. If you have some experience within a primary school and an ability to reflect on that, then that is also what they are looking for.
    We then had another group discussion with a teacher from Plymouth - she asked us questions relating to what sort of teacher we would like to be, what we would do in certain situations, what we had observed in our time at schools etc.
    All in all, it was a very positive experience and not really as stressful as I had first thought it would be. I would definitely say that visiting an Open Evening would be a good first step.
    If I can help with anything else, then let me know - and GOOD LUCK!!
    Lise

5. Hi, I have an conditional offer to Plymouth University for the PGCE course. I am still at University and will be accepted provided that I get the 2:1 requirement grade. Looking around Plymouth, it seemed like an area with a lot of hills. To avoid lots of walking up high hills to get to uni, obviously I would like to get a location as close as possible. Is it possible to get halls of residence there? If not, how do I go about trying to get the closest location as I'm sure the best spots get filled very quickly.

Also, as Plymouth is quite small, I was told the placements they send you out on are likely to be outside the city and too far to travel. I was told some of the placements can be as long as five weeks. Where did you get sent to and did you gave this problem at all?

X