1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Primary Interview - Presentation Ideas/Assistance

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Learner12, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have a PGCE Primary interview next month, for which I've been asked to deliver a five minute presentation on a current and topical educational issue of my choice. I was originally going to select the very current Curriculum Review and try to tie in the Every Child Matters agenda but to be honest, I'm wondering if the Curriculum Review is so new that I won't have enough of substance to include. I'm also not sure whether ECM is as current as it was (although I'm pretty sure it is as that and safeguarding are so high profile). I'm finding it a bit of a struggle finding out what is and isn't current, as things are changing so much and a lot of the websites I'm looking at are saying things like 'Please be aware that the contents of this website may not reflect current Government policy' - not really helpful when you're trying to make a quality presentation to get onto an already highly competitive course - no room for error!
    I have a few other ideas for my presentation, as follows:
    * National Curriculum Review
    * White Paper
    * Every Child Matters / Safeguarding / Child Protection
    * Assessment for Learning
    * Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning
    * Creative Curriculum (possibly vs Formal Learning)
    * Inclusion (offering facilities for all students)
    * Numeracy / Literacy Strategies
    I basically need some help to decide which of the above would be the better option in the eyes of current teachers/educational professionals so that I know I'm definitely on the right track and don't cover something that is now completely out-of-date and irrelevant and make a total fool of myself on the day!
    The panel will be assessing my presentation on various criteria, following which I will be asked questions around the subject during a five minute discussion so I need to be adequately clued up! After this, I will also be asked to undertake a written evaluation of my presentation, providing a critical analysis, demonstrating my skills of reflection.
    Any assistance that forum members could provide would be much appreciated as I need to get on with preparing my presentation and rehearsing it to perfection.
    Carly

2. Hi
    I have a PGCE Primary interview next month, for which I've been asked to deliver a five minute presentation on a current and topical educational issue of my choice. I was originally going to select the very current Curriculum Review and try to tie in the Every Child Matters agenda but to be honest, I'm wondering if the Curriculum Review is so new that I won't have enough of substance to include. I'm also not sure whether ECM is as current as it was (although I'm pretty sure it is as that and safeguarding are so high profile). I'm finding it a bit of a struggle finding out what is and isn't current, as things are changing so much and a lot of the websites I'm looking at are saying things like 'Please be aware that the contents of this website may not reflect current Government policy' - not really helpful when you're trying to make a quality presentation to get onto an already highly competitive course - no room for error!
    I have a few other ideas for my presentation, as follows:
    * National Curriculum Review
    * White Paper
    * Every Child Matters / Safeguarding / Child Protection
    * Assessment for Learning
    * Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning
    * Creative Curriculum (possibly vs Formal Learning)
    * Inclusion (offering facilities for all students)
    * Numeracy / Literacy Strategies
    I basically need some help to decide which of the above would be the better option in the eyes of current teachers/educational professionals so that I know I'm definitely on the right track and don't cover something that is now completely out-of-date and irrelevant and make a total fool of myself on the day!
    The panel will be assessing my presentation on various criteria, following which I will be asked questions around the subject during a five minute discussion so I need to be adequately clued up! After this, I will also be asked to undertake a written evaluation of my presentation, providing a critical analysis, demonstrating my skills of reflection.
    Any assistance that forum members could provide would be much appreciated as I need to get on with preparing my presentation and rehearsing it to perfection.
    Carly

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

You could go for any of them really. I personally would go for AFL. If you lean towards this choice then read Inside the Black Box, you can get the pdf online.