1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Primary Interview at UWIC

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by sar88, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Just wondering who else has an interview coming up at UWIC for the PGCE Primary Course, and if anyone who has already done their interview for UWIC could share any tips?

2. Just wondering who else has an interview coming up at UWIC for the PGCE Primary Course, and if anyone who has already done their interview for UWIC could share any tips?

3. hey, i have my interview on the 12th january. really nervous about it, but i had an interview with them last year and when you get there they really put you at ease and make you feel comfortable. remember we're all in the same boat!

4. That's good you have had an interview before! I thought it would be very strict as not many places so the pressure would be on! What did the group interview and individual interview contain last year? I wonder if it changes every year. Have you prepared for your presentation?

5. Also got an interview soon - anyone heard from someone who knows what the numeracy/literacy & group activities may involve?

6. I think the interviews start next week...well I haven't heard of anyone who's got one before Monday anyway! When's yours? The tasks sound very vague!

7. I have my interview on the 21st at 8.30.
    Any one else got theirs this day?
    I'm currently at Trinity Saint David in Carmarthen and have spoke to my careers advisor about the individual interview for those of you who are worried about it. She gave me a list of questions they could and may be likely to ask. (listed below). She also said that they have never done the numeracy task before. She agreed with me that it sounded like they could give us a topic or part of the numeracy curriculum and get us to design an activity or something for it.

Questions for interview.
    Why do you want to teach?
    What do you think are the necessary skills required to be an effective classroom teacher? do you think you have these skills?
    What qualities are necessary for teaching?
    What is your greatest concern about teaching?
    Are you organised? can you prove this?
    What would you do if a pupil does not want to do what you ask of them?
    Do you read the TES?
    When did you last visit a school?
    What can you offer a school?
    What are your strengths?
    What are your weaknesses?
    Do you have computer skills? How important is I.T. in the classroom?
    How could you persuade a headteacher in a job interview that you would make an effective classroom teacher?

Hope this helps guys.

8. <font size="2">Hi :) </font>
    <font size="2">I have mine then too! Thanks for those questions that's a massive help. I'm very nervous! I agree with you on the maths task...I was thinking something similar. Sounds very ambiguous, I'd probably rather they just gave us a test - easier to prepare for! </font>
    <font size="2"> </font><font size="2">How's your presentation preparation going?</font>

9. your welcome, yeh just trying to write it up now. got so many ideas but nothing I haven't already done a bit about before on my current course.
    How's your presentation going?
    where you travelling from for the interview and how are you getting there? Im coming from Carmarthen and going by train... worried about the snow now though. UWIC have said to keep an eye on their website on monday in case the interview is cancelled due to snow... suppose it depends on if we get any more. lol

10. yeh same...I'm very worried about the presentation so putting most of my efforts into it! I'm only coming from Newport and I've arranged a lift so I don't have to worry about transport really. How long does the train take from Carmarthen? Are you planing on travelling Tuesday morning? I really hope the snow goes away and it's not cancelled; as nervous as I am I just want to do it now!

11. Can't believe the interview is Tuesday!!! I am getting sooo nervous :( Hope it doesn't get cancelled due to snow as want to get it over with! Maybe we will be in the same group for the group interview? I'm worried about the questions they may ask and messing up. How is everyone feeling?

12. Hope so! I wonder how many people will be there...my name's Alex btw (Guessing yours is Sarah?!); will be nice to know someone on the day! I am very nervous too, I really hope it's not cancelled I just want to do it now! Do you have to travel far?

13. My name is Lindsey, it takes about 1.40hrs from carmarthen. my train leaves at 5.50am. joy. I dont think there will be many of us, as they have to fit in half hour individual interviews for everyone before 12.30. I think there is another group in then at 12.30. who knows. guess we will just have to wait and see.
    Lets hope the snow goes away. My friend was in Cardiff yesterday and said that the snow is still really bad there. much worse than here in carmarthen.

14. Yeah im Sarah. Can't believe the weather today! I'm coming from Barry so its not far but if the weather continues they may cancel it, I wonder how we will know? I might give them a ring later today.

15. Gosh you have to leave Carmarthen early! Hope they give us enough warning...I'm not sure how they'd let us know. I might ring them too, see what the weather does for the rest of the day. I wish it would stop snowing!!

16. Very annoying [​IMG] if that does happen it's not really fair, as we made the effort to get our applications in early, so they shouldn't penalise us because of the weather! But who knows. Just in case anyone is wondering I rang them earlier and they said the interviews are likely to be late January, but they probably won't let us know until the New Year. So January isn't too bad.
    Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas [​IMG]

17. Yeh I had a text from them saying it was cancelled. I was worried about that that if we are late interviewed they may already have given out many of the places. Let's just hope that doesnt happen. I wouldn't have thought so.
    Hope you all have a great Christmas and New Year! And look forward to meeting you guys soon hopefully. Wonder if we will be on the same day again.
    Just got to brave the weather to get home to Kent tomorrow now. At least I don't have to get up ridiculously early now :)

18. Would be nice if we're on the same day again :)

Hope you have a safe trip home!

19. Hi everyone!
    Firstly, good luck with your interviews - you guys seem to have loads of experience and be very organised already so I'm sure you'll do well. It is a little intimidating actually!!
    I was wondering if I could ask you all a favour?
    I have an interview with UWIC for lower primary on 13th Jan but I haven't received my letter. I asked them a few times for it before they went on holidays and they kept on saying it was in the post. I'm not sure what has happened but I still haven't received anything and it doesn't look like it is coming. This means that I don't have ANY information other than when the interview is (UWIC told me the date and time but said all the other info was in the letter which was in the post and would be with me shortly...)
    Would somebody be able to tell me what was in the letter? I gather that we have to do a presentation, but on what? How long for? Do we need any resources or is it just speaking to them? Do we need to revise literacy/numeracy for the tests? Do I need to bring anything? And most importantly, I know that I go to the Cyncoed campus, but do I just need to go to Reception?
    Any help you guys could give me would be fantastic.
    Thank you so much!!
    xxx