1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Primary interview at UEL

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by sparkleshine, Dec 9, 2011.

1. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

Rang UEL up today to ask what my status was, apparently I'm awaiting an interview and was offered 2 dates - mine's in just a few days!
    I've read the old threads so I have an idea of what the process will be like, and I went through the process when I applied elsewhere last year, but I'm suddenly horrendously nervous. Feel relatively prepared for the tests, just nervous for the rest...

2. Hey,
    Just got the email for the interview its on the 19th Dec so relieved and excited but the panics not over yet need to start revising for maths.

3. sparkleshine

Me too! Pretty much done on the Maths I think but now in a panic over the interview qs and so on. Freaks me out that there's a group task, they must have just added that this year

4. Me too. What Maths should we be revising? James

5. sparkleshine

I rung them a while ago and they said GCSE level and also KS3 - so stuff like fractions, ratio, percentages, ratio, shape and space, basic algebra and so on..
    It's also non-calculator which should give you a hint as to what's likely to come up.

6. Ok thanks, i guess with a weeks notice everyones in the same boat and they want to interview people they want on the course first bc of their application. i dont think the group task will be make or break, theyll be checking for teamwork and communication maybe. You excited?!

7. sparkleshine

As far as I know the interviews are just held in order, depending on when you applied. But you're right, getting the interview means you have what they want on paper so that can only be a good thing :). I think it's a whole package really - the Maths and English tests, the interview and the group task. With the group task you basically just shouldn't be too quiet or too loud - make contributions but also show you can listen to others.
    A little excited, I'm still in the 'I want to throw up' stage though. Just preparing like mad. Good luck!

8. GCSE Bitesize revision should help then. I say be yourself, answer every question..intelligently and get involved!

9. I went to UEL! Graduated from there in 2010. Was a fantastic experience and I made some wonderful friends.

The interview process was long I'll be honest but the best advice I can give is just be your self and read up on things like phonics and any other areas or terms you may not be familiar with.

The tests I wouldn't fret on. I totally failed all mine LOL! They just asked me to do some reading before the course started in September. The skills tests are the ones that matter most.

Good lucl!!

10. Hi guys, My applications been sent to UEL, have not been offered an interview as of yet. Was just wondering if you could after your interviews tell me how the day went? Especiallyy the maths test, I am absolutley rubbish!!! do you think they take th maths test into account???

11. I will let you know how everything went. I think just make a good impression on the day and it will be hard for them to not accept you!

12. Thankyou so much, when is your interview??? I had an interview at Greenwich 2 weeks ago for the primary PGCE, rang them today and found out I had been rejected because of the maths test :( so now looking to UEL! Is it your first time applying if you don't mind me asking so?

13. Yes first time applying just graduated in the summer and been working in a school abroad. I better get revising Maths then!

14. Oh right okay, what country did you work in? Yup maths is vitally important unfortunately! Good luck!!!

15. Well what I've been reading the tests are not that important at UEL! I will let you know how I get on! I worked in Brazil.

16. Wow, that must've been an amazing experience! Best of luck at your interview, I look forward to hearing how you get on :)
    x

17. sparkleshine

Don't despair - defer2, I'm a second-time applicant and got rejected because of the maths test. Just do a lot of revision and hopefully you'll be fine - I've worked really hard on it this time as I don't want it to let me down.

18. I'm a first time applicant, so it kind of shattered my hopes!!! What university did you not get into?? Was it UEL? Please let me know how you get on I am really worried!! GTTR sent my application to UEL today I hope it's not too late for them to interview me!
    sarina x

19. sparkleshine

I feel for you, I really do - was in the position last year as I applied later of not getting into either choice as my second choice was full by the time it got there. But don't give up, it's still early in the cycle and you have another shot. Just concentrate on your maths and practice all the time.
    I'm sure it won't be too late but it might take a while - they have just received your app so you probably won't be interviewed until at least January. I applied 10th October and only just received an invite as they've just started to interview.
    I will let you know how it goes. Keep your spirits up.

20. What were your choices last year? Are you still doing your undergraduate degree or have you already got your degree?
    Thankyou for being so helpful.