1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Primary: Insititute of Education and Roehampton Interview Help

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by karizma1485, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Hi luv_a_duck
    Not sure which PGCE you've applied for but I'm assuming it's Primary.
    Like you this time last year I was thinking about how I could prepare for the interviews and was quite nervous about the whole process. I too was nervous about taking the tests, especially Maths. Maths isn't my strongest subject and considering I did no revision I acutally thought the test wasn't as hard as I'd imagined it be. There were somethings on the test which I had completely forgotten how to do but most things I remembered (which came as a surprise!) I would say if you're a little worried about your maths then go onto the BBC bitesize and take the maths tests to see what you remember and take it from there. For the English test we just had to write a mini essay on the purpose of education. I think the aim of this is just to see the level of standard English in your writing.
    As for the presentation, we had to a give a 5 min presentation on what we had learnt from our experiences with children. We were given about 10 mins to prepare. Also like the English test, I think the main purpose of this exercise is for them to see if you are able to stand up in front of a class, communicate your ideas effectively and speak clearly.
    With hindsight I can honestly say I don't thing any of the exercises are hard but its better to be over prepared than under prepared! Hoped this has helped.
    Good luck.

2. luv_a_duck

luv_a_duck New commenter

Thanks Karizma - really good advice. I hadn't thought of looking at the BBC Bitesize but that'll be a great (free) resource to help me prepare.

Can I ask what university your had your interview at and where you're studying now?
    Thanks x

3. I think for my PGCE interview I had to do a maths and english test, but they were quite simple. Mostly word problems, interpreting tables and simple graphs, things like 'A Literacy lesson starts at 9:15, lasts 45 minutes, and is followed by a 20 minute break, at what time does break finish?' Nothing too taxing, I think just to check you are capable of doing maths. For English I had to read a piece of text, and answer questions about it. I think just to check that I could interpret text, and could write in standard English. Although, it is worth brushing up on your skills. If you get onto the PGCE you will be expected to pass maths, english and ICT skills tests in order to gain QTS. You can find practise tests on the tda website, just search google for 'tda skills tests'. These are a lot more tricky so it won't do any harm to start working on this now. Also in my interview, we had to discuss current educational issues in a group, like a sort of debate. So make sure you're keeping up to date with what's going on in the news, the government, LEAs, curriculum changes etc (reading the TES is a good start, and the education section of the bbc news website). Good luck!

4. luv_a_duck

luv_a_duck New commenter

Thank you littlest4r - your advice is really helpful.
    Which university are you studying at? x

5. I'm qualified now, but I was at the university of bedfordshire

6. I'm currently at the IOE and I can tell you that the Maths test isn't too tricky. I revised using a CGP Key Stage 2 Maths revision guide and I was fine.
    As for presentations, you'll be given a topic for your presentation in the invitation to the interview. It will pertain to something related to your observation prior to your interview, so make a good number of notes so that you can recollect more easily. You'll also have to discuss something that will have an impact on education (the topic is of your choice - I did mine on free schools/academies).