1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Primary assignments

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by anastasia786, Apr 30, 2020.

1. anastasia786

anastasia786 New commenter

Hi

What are the assignments/essays in the PGCE like? Are they similar to undergraduate essays or require more depth?

what are the type of questions I can expect? Can anyone provide examples? and are they difficult in comparison to undergrad degree essays?

Thanks
    Anastasia

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

Hi, did my primary PGCE in 2014/15. Not sure what it is like elsewhere but for my course we only did one proper Essay of 5000 words. I found it easier than a lot of my undergraduate work and got a distinction however a lot of the content was already familiar to me.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

It depends what level you are doing it at level 6 would be working at the same level as your final year undergraduate course. Level 7 is equivalent to a master's level assignment, so more depth yes.

Different courses will have different numbers and types of assignments (easy, presentations, posters etc).

4. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

Hi,
    I’m just finishing my pgce, we had 4 assignments. The first was a 2000 word at level 6 then 3 x 4000 at level 7. They are in depth, the success criteria is higher than for level 6 but they are interesting and you are given plenty of guidance.

adrynesanmartins likes this.
  5. anastasia786

anastasia786 New commenter

Thank you guys for your replies. I am hoping to start this September, most likely the first semester will be online.

Is there any books or websites you recommend for new trainees?

6. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

It really depends on what your pgce is and what your uni want you to read. A start is becoming familiar with the teachers standards. I didn’t buy any books as everything I needed I got from uni library online but you won’t have access until you complete your induction. Anything about being a reflective practitioner is useful if you want to get going. There is a good one by Pollard, 2014, reflective teaching in school or similar.

7. Hey Anastasia!! I am applying for the PGCE too!! Good luck for both of us