1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Preparation

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by googolplex, Jun 12, 2011.

1. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Go on a long holiday between now and the end of term. It's the last term time holiday you'll have for a good many years...!
    Other than that, do lots of reading - anything relevant - lots of thinking through the curriculum, lots of mental planning. Gather lots of ideas/resources - so much on the internet. Think carefully not just about maths, but about pedagogy in general, and about the craft of the classroom in particular. What sort of teacher do you imagine you'll be? How are you going to deal with kids that don't want to learn. How are you going to further enthuse those that do?
    It's nearly 25 years since I started, so perhaps an RQT might be along offer their more up-to-date thoughts.

2. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Go into a local Secondary school or Primary school or both and act as a classroom assistant. Help any friends/neighbours/relatives with some maths tutoring, get any experience you can with children learning maths.
    As googol said read some books, if you do a search on this forum you'll get lots of ideas.
    Have a good rest before you start the course it will be hard work.
    Not been teaching 25 yrs but 15, so maybe now someone with 5 or less can add some recent advice.

3. pinkkaz

pinkkaz New commenter

Hello! I finished my PGCE in maths last year and am just coming to the end of my NQT year - loving it!
    Yes, just read some books on general pedagogy, but also I think it would be a good idea to familiarise yourself with the curriculum if it's been a while since you were at school. Perhaps get a GCSE textbook and look at some KS3 resources online - tes is good for that. My PGCE course (IoE) focused on mathematics pedagogy rather than maths curriculum (which was fine by me!)

4. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

I would second that - perhaps also look at some past GCSE exam papers to see what we are all referring to in the numerous debates below!
    e.g.http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications/gcse/maths/mathematics/mathematics-a-linear.php
    or similar for edexcel/OCR (the 3 main exam boards)