1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE preparation. September 2020

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tmazinyi, Jun 17, 2020.

1. tmazinyi

tmazinyi New commenter

Hi all,

I'm starting my PGCE Primary in September at the University of Southampton. I am wondering what work I can get on with to help prepare myself for the start of the course?
    I've not studied formally for the last four years and getting back into the swing of things now leading up to September will help ME massively (I know what I struggle with) by writing assignments and completing a little bit of background reading.

Other than the impending pre-course tasks that will arrive from the University, I was hoping that there may be recommended reading from anyone that has already completed the course OR is in the current cohort (2019/20). If so what is it and how much pre-course preparation would you recommend?
    Is there a checklist that you would now prescribe yourself if you could go back in time?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

The most useful book I read during my PGCE was Derek Haylock's "Mathematics Explained For Primary Teachers". It was on my university's reading list and you may find it on yours too, as it seems quite popular. Anyway, I would really recommend it. There are a few short questions at the end of each chapter to help you consolidate what you've read.

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

This explores the principles of the new OFSTED framework and Is really interesting.

Knowledge and the future school by Michael Young et al.

4. tmazinyi

tmazinyi New commenter

Thank you very much, i'll check it out.

5. tmazinyi

tmazinyi New commenter

Thank you, i have been looking at books regarding core curriculum subjects. I'm sure I'll find this one helpful too

6. tmazinyi

tmazinyi New commenter

Thanks, I'm sure I'll need to get to grips with that sooner rather than later!
    Cheers