1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE preparation... Dear Sage

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by GabriellaBuckley, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Hi there,

I am about to go into my 3rd year at University studying English Language and Psychology with a main focus on children and I am full steam ahead for preparing for my PGCE in 2013. I start my application this October and I am just wondering if anyone has any handy tips on how I can be more prepared on what I need.

I do a lot of voluntary work already in schools and tutoring, I am also a cubs and beavers volunteer so lots of experience! Any extra reading books or anything at all that anyone could put forward would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

2. Hi there,

I am about to go into my 3rd year at University studying English Language and Psychology with a main focus on children and I am full steam ahead for preparing for my PGCE in 2013. I start my application this October and I am just wondering if anyone has any handy tips on how I can be more prepared on what I need.

I do a lot of voluntary work already in schools and tutoring, I am also a cubs and beavers volunteer so lots of experience! Any extra reading books or anything at all that anyone could put forward would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

3. Hi Gabriella, I'm starting a Primary PGCE this coming September at The University of Northampton, before getting this place I had one other interview and both had a very heavy weighing towards wider issues in teaching such as English as an additional language and gifted and tallented so my suggestion would be to read up on them.

Tom

4. Hi Tom, thank you very much for you reply, I shall look into these issues thoroughly. Gabriella

5. I was asked in my interview about what books are suitable for each of the key stages, also I was asked scenario questions like "If your class come in exhausted from PE and you have to give them an assessment, what would you do? What if they are hyper?". So have a look at what is being taught - which is easy enough, the resources on here will give you an idea. Also I was asked to look at ICT in the classroom - how it can be used with purpose and intent.

6. All this info is greatly appreciated thank you :) there must be so many different questions asked, its scary.

7. I'd also look at SEN, especially autistic spectrum disorders and specific learning difficulties, as inclusion is a big issue in schools. Also have a look at what 'inclusion' actually means as it's not quite as straight forwards as it sounds. For example I worked 1:1 with a child with SEN, who had great trouble telling the difference between reality and fiction, was noise sensitive ( although like most noise sensitive children loved to make lots of noise himself) and had ADHD, so I knew from experience that it would not be a good idea to take him into watch a visiting theatre company, but the head insisted 'We are an inclusive school', unsurprisingly with 5min he was screaming, had to be removed and took a good half hour to calm down. My point is that to be inclusive you have to adapt to the child's needs not insist they participate in all activities. If you can't modify an activity such as the one above provide an alternative activity that does meet the child's needs. Another example using the same child as above is from music lessons, he found these really distressing due to the noise, which is unavoidable in a music lesson! So instead of insisting he stay for a lesson she could not adapt to his needs the teacher arranged for him to have this time for IEP work, that way he wasn't losing curriculum time.

Hope this helps and apologies if the grammars a bit mixed up...I've got a specific learning difficulty myself!

8. Thank you very much becoming very nervous over what I need to know and things to get sorted out it is the one thing I have only ever wanted in my life[​IMG]