1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE preparation advice?

Discussion in 'Geography' started by alwalsh, Mar 5, 2012.

1. alwalsh

alwalsh New commenter

Hello,

I'm due to start a pgce in secondary geography in september and I am currently in full time employment in a role that means I don't have to take any work home with me (I know this won't happen in any teaching job in the future!). I am conscious of wanting to take full advantage of my evenings and weekends whilst I can - does anyone have any advice of what sort of preparation I should be doing between now and September? Any resources I should be collecting? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

2. I'm starting a GTP in a few weeks and have been sent a big box of books to read and guidance on what kind of notes to make and it needs to be done before I start! I would get yourself down the library and see what education books there are - look out for Gilbert and Sullivan and Geoff Petty. My local library had a fair selection. I wouldn't commit to buying any until you get a reading list but I think it's safe to assume a lot of the content will be similar. If you make active notes - review each relevent chapter; i.e how you could potentially apply the theory that is outlined when teaching geography, are there any positives or negatives to that technique, the 3 main things learnt from the chapter etc.. A page of A4 per chapter would probably be about right and reference the top of each notes page (harvard style - so you know where it came from and can just drop it into the reference list of an essay). You'll then have a concise set of notes to help you, and when it comes to writing essays you'll have a lot of work already done and dusted. If some of the books aren't on your reading list then so much the better, it'll add breradth to your knowledge and depth to the essays you write. Also, if you've not spent much time around kids of that age before try to, if you can't do a week in school perhaps offer to volunteer with the local scouts or something one evening a week, it'll all help!

3. Hello!

In terms of the interview I would say have it clear in your mind about why you want to teach. If you know that and can be passionate about teaching you will be great! You could also get into some current knowledge and understanding of current affairs.

For the PGCE - where are you going? I went to Exeter two years ago and there was plenty of time for the reading (of which there was plenty on a really good reading list!). If you are keen to do your own I would say have a look at David Leat for ideas about teaching and 'Moon, Mayes and Hutchinson' for the theory. This is obviously just a start, and are in addtion to the ideas above. I know you're working full time, but if you have some time to go into a school you definitely should - reading will onlu get you so far. Practical hands on will be the most valuable

4. Congratulations for getting onto the PGCE. For me (in addition to the advice above) I would suggest....

familiarise yourself inside out the national curriculum. fill in any gaps in your knowledge now- rather than on placement I get a little fed up with PGCE students saying "i've never studied this"... get on with it!!!!! show some initiative!

read lots about activities, join the GA, read up on starters/plenaries, join SLN start gathering resources onto a hard drive from the internet.

Best of luck

5. dhartley25

dhartley25 New commenter

Well done on securing a place. Some advice would be:
    - Read through national curriculum document to familiarise yourself with the KS3 programme of study. Even though this is due to change soon, it will still be relevant when you start your course http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum/secondary/b00199536/geography
    - Book some holiday from work and try and get one or two days in a local comprehensive. Don't try and look at everything in the school, just spend time with the Geography department and make notes on what they teach in each key stage and why. Some may let you leave with the department handbook or some resources etc.
    - Don't worry too much about subject knowledge. When you plan lessons it will force you to research the topic or theme. But below are a couple of books worth gettign as an overview:
    1) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Geography-Complete-Revision-Practice-Guide/dp/1841463922/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333956560&sr=8-2 A revision guide for most topics taught in KS3. It is not everything but will give you the basics and that's all you need. You can also usually buy it in Whsmiths/Waterstones etc.
    2) Geog.1/2/3 are very popular KS3 textbooks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/geog-1-students-book-RoseMarie-Gallagher/dp/0199134936/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333956660&sr=8-1
    3) Revision guide for GCSE http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Geography-Revision-Guide-Guides/dp/1847624294/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333956759&sr=1-1

I hope this helps. Email me via the TES website if you need anything further.

Dan

6. alwalsh

alwalsh New commenter

Thank you so much for all your helpful replies!
    I have a place at the University of Cumbria in Septemeber, and am really looking forward to getting started now :)
    A condition of my offer was to get another 5 days in a comprehensive for further experience, so I have taken some time from work and will be completing this (hopefully) at the end of April. This is a Humanities department rather than just Geography, which I hope will be informative.
    dhartley25 - I am pleased that I have already sourced all of your recommended books - my partner is a PE teacher and borrowed the text books from the Geog department for me!
    In the meantime I am keeping my head down at work, saving as much as i can, and counting down the days until I can hand my notice in and begin the next chapter of my life!
    :)

7. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Hi, I'm currently doing my PGCE in secondary Geography and I can tell you it’s
    a nightmare but its well worth it in the long run. Some advice to help with
    preparing for September would be:

1. Swat up on the currently Curriculum especially GCSE and A Level. You will
    be surprised how bad your knowledge on this is. I have gone straight the
    education system and even was surprised by how much it’s changed in only a few
    years.

2. Keep an eye out for news articles and any geography based information
    really. If you think it might come in handy keep it. Will save you time when it
    comes to finding things.

3. If you can ask some secondary schools if they wouldn't mind you
    coming in to watch some lessons and spend some time with the geography department.
    Most schools are really nice and will welcome you, it’s a good way to nick some
    resources and for you to spend some time with people who do what you want to
    do. It’s also a good way to see what they do on a daily basis.

4. Lastly keep yourself up to date on what is going on in the
    educational world. Comes in handy in the staffroom and for your general know
    how.

That’s all I can think of for now. Hope it helps.

8. The RGS-IBG is running a training conference for current and prospective geography PGCE students in July 2012.These conferences for PGCE students, trainee teachers and those preparing for a PGCE are fundamental in preparing delegates for life in a busy geography department. A fantastic way to start thinking about CPD!
    Details
    Date: Thursday 12 July 2012
    Venue: Royal Geographical Society (with IBG), 1 Kensington Gore, London, SW7 2AR
    Time: 9.30am - 3.30pm
    Programme
    Sessions will include how to be the perfect NQT, good to outstanding teaching, teaching contentious issues, interview hints and tips, activity ideas and much more. The day will give trainee teachers a chance to meet with other current and potential PGCE students, share ideas and come away with a wealth of new resources. A full programme is available at www.rgs.org/teachercpd. Speakers: Kate Amis, Graham Goldup CGeog, Maria Larkin CGeog
    Booking information
    School Members / Fellows / Early Career Teacher Members / Young Geographers: £20 inc. VAT
    Non Members: £40 inc. VAT (includes Young Geographer membership package or Postgraduate Fellowship)
    Booking form and full programme can be found at http://www.rgs.org/teachercpd
    To book please return the booking form and your payment to Claire Wheeler, Education Department, RGS-IBG, 1 Kensington Gore, London, SW7 2AR. T: 020 7591 3053 F: 020 7591 3001 E: c.wheeler@rgs.org. Please note that that payment must be received before the event or the place may be withdrawn. No refunds will be given for cancellations less than 3 weeks before the event.