1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Prep

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by kiyahe15, Jun 26, 2020.

1. kiyahe15

kiyahe15 New commenter

Hi guys,

I start my PGCE course in September and I just want to get an early start, especially with me not working due to COVID-19. If anyone has any ideas on the modules for a course so I can gain a rough idea or any books/ebooks i can read that would be amazing.

Thank you in advance :)

2. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

Modules vary from one uni/provider to another so it’s difficult to give advice on that. I would say get familiar with behaviour management techniques, use of assessment and also pedagogy. I wouldn’t do too much research as you may feel unnecessarily overwhelmed but having a grasp of the very basics may help. Everything you need to know for your assignments will be covered in depth and you will be given a reading list so my advice is spend your time ensuring your subject knowledge in spag and maths is tip-top

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Familiarise yourself with the teaching standards and the national curriculum for your area (if you're doing secondary them look at what is covered in primary as well)

4. littleme28

littleme28 New commenter

Best advice I can honestly give is to choose your training provider extremely carefully...once you have a good one your life will be made significantly easier. Schools are luck of the draw I'm afraid. Reading up on the curriculum and looking at the TS will help, but don't stress too much about it until you start. Good luck!

5. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

You're going to be very busy once you start your PGCE so another useful thing to do would be to make sure your house is well-organised. That way you won't have to spend term time looking for things and tidying up. If you have a big enough freezer, making and freezing some of your favourite dishes will also give you a break from cooking on days when you don't have much time.

musicteacher2018 and 43Meadows like this.
  6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Subject knowledge is the best thing you can improve. We will teach you how to teach on the course but we don’t teach you subject knowledge so really have a root and branch review of NC knowledge in your area and ensure you really know your stuff.

CocoaChannel, bonxie and 43Meadows like this.
  7. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

Yes get an understanding on what you have to teach - National Curriculum familiarity is key. Safeguarding is the other area you could research - Keeping Children Safe in Education and Working Together to Safeguard Children are key documents.

8. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Let the main object of this, our didactic, be as follows: To seek and to find a method of instruction, by which teachers may teach less, but learners may learn more.

I should underline the quotable lines I find at the time when I see them - I saw something like the above (by Comenius) in Popper's Vol. 2 of The Open Society - but I can't give you the a reference to that, or be totally sure it is correct.

9. inkymark

inkymark New commenter

Your PGCE provider should have provided you with a reading list - select some books from this and work through them. One book that I found very good was "Getting the ******* to Behave" by Sue Cowley. It is written in a way that makes it easy to follow but gives you an idea of some of the issues you are going to find in the classroom and, from my last year, you will find that you have some!!!!

10. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

for example