1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Post comp placement

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Circra, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Circra

Circra New commenter

Hello,
    Just got to say something. Firstly, I was placed in the Key skills litrecy department for my PGCE main placement. This was a mistake on the part of my uni and the college as I was supposed to be teaching sociology but there was some confusion over my core 25 hours teaching literacy (or key skills) wich lead the uni to place me in Functional skills. I've always had problems with spelling in particular but also other parts of literacy. I can't get spellings and I find it hard to organise stuff especialy when I'm put "on the spot".
    To give an example, I find it takes me much longer to mark work than it should. I need to have a dictionary or computer spellcheck to check the correct the most basic of mistakes, and one more than one occasion I've had a student point out a pretty basic spelling error I made on the board.
    Its too late now for me to get a new placement, though I'll be teaching a few hours of sociology and public services etc. which is good I guess but my main bulk of teaching will be functional skills literacy. Here comes the other part - I've recently managed to get a dyslexia screening test and it looks like I'm probably dyslexic (lots of very strong dyslexic tendancies etc). I'm pretty amazed I got this far without it being properly picked up on! Anyways - going for an assessment - and I'm finding it harder and harder to get past the problems that I have with literacy, let alone helping others get over their problems with literacy! I know its just going to get harder and harder as the workload increases and I was wondering if anyone had been in this position or had any advice? Thanks

2. Circra

Circra New commenter

Hello,
    Just got to say something. Firstly, I was placed in the Key skills litrecy department for my PGCE main placement. This was a mistake on the part of my uni and the college as I was supposed to be teaching sociology but there was some confusion over my core 25 hours teaching literacy (or key skills) wich lead the uni to place me in Functional skills. I've always had problems with spelling in particular but also other parts of literacy. I can't get spellings and I find it hard to organise stuff especialy when I'm put "on the spot".
    To give an example, I find it takes me much longer to mark work than it should. I need to have a dictionary or computer spellcheck to check the correct the most basic of mistakes, and one more than one occasion I've had a student point out a pretty basic spelling error I made on the board.
    Its too late now for me to get a new placement, though I'll be teaching a few hours of sociology and public services etc. which is good I guess but my main bulk of teaching will be functional skills literacy. Here comes the other part - I've recently managed to get a dyslexia screening test and it looks like I'm probably dyslexic (lots of very strong dyslexic tendancies etc). I'm pretty amazed I got this far without it being properly picked up on! Anyways - going for an assessment - and I'm finding it harder and harder to get past the problems that I have with literacy, let alone helping others get over their problems with literacy! I know its just going to get harder and harder as the workload increases and I was wondering if anyone had been in this position or had any advice? Thanks