1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Placements

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sarahlou3, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hi I wonder if anyone can help?? I'm just about to start my final placment on a pgce primary course and my first placment and second placement were both nursery/reception. I've just found out that my final placement will be in nursery/reception. I was under the impression that we have to have a placement that is out of phase, e.g KS1. Does anyone know anything about this as I have had no KS1 experience while on the pgce course and now feel restricted to which jobs I can apply, for also even when applying for foundation stage jobs I feel that I will be at a disadvantage as I will have no flexibility. My university do not seem to care about this at all and I am beginning to think that all the hard work I have put in this year has been a complete waste of time. I would be grateful for any advice. Many thanks.

2. Hi I wonder if anyone can help?? I'm just about to start my final placment on a pgce primary course and my first placment and second placement were both nursery/reception. I've just found out that my final placement will be in nursery/reception. I was under the impression that we have to have a placement that is out of phase, e.g KS1. Does anyone know anything about this as I have had no KS1 experience while on the pgce course and now feel restricted to which jobs I can apply, for also even when applying for foundation stage jobs I feel that I will be at a disadvantage as I will have no flexibility. My university do not seem to care about this at all and I am beginning to think that all the hard work I have put in this year has been a complete waste of time. I would be grateful for any advice. Many thanks.

3. As I understand it, you should have crossed phases. However, because placements can be so difficult to find I know that some people on my course were placed in the same Key Stage for their placements. The university worked around it by making sure that the student was able to spend a few days of their placement with a different phrase. Maybe ask the school where you are doing your placement if there is any possibility of you spending a few days in a different year group. It's not ideal but it's better than no experience at all.