1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Placements

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by DanM1, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am due to start my PGCE (Secondary English) next month (September 2011) at Brighton University, and was wondering if any NQTs did their PGCE Secondary English course at this particular institution? Also, was wondering when you were informed about placements? And, if you had any general tips/advice for succeeding in the PGCE?

Thank you! :)

2. Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am due to start my PGCE (Secondary English) next month (September 2011) at Brighton University, and was wondering if any NQTs did their PGCE Secondary English course at this particular institution? Also, was wondering when you were informed about placements? And, if you had any general tips/advice for succeeding in the PGCE?

Thank you! :)

3. Hi,

While I was studying there my flatmates were doing B eds and one did a PGCE. If it is still the same, you wont find out your placement for a few weeksafter you start the course.

Hope that helps.

Oh and general advice for the PGCE: be on your guard, get qts tests done before christmas, if there are any issues with your mentor let your uni know asap and lastly, enjoy it. It goes so fast!

4. Thank you for your reply mona0520! That is helpful to know. Also, thank you for the PGCE advice - probably some of the best advice I have been given!

5. I was also wondering what to expect when going into placement schools? Any suggestions on how to make sure that I gain the most from the experience?

6. I think the best thing is to be pro active. Also get to know the staff especially the TAs. They know so much about the school and the children.

Have you got a twitter account? There is a large teaching community on twitter- great place for advice.

Also check out the PGCE Survival Guide:
    http://classroomtales.com/pgce-survival-guide-pgcetips/