1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Placement in Year 6

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mialouise1993, Oct 3, 2015.

1. mialouise1993

mialouise1993 New commenter

Hi!

I have just found out my base school placement for my PGCE year. I am in year 6 which I am completely daunted by! I haven't been in a year six classroom at all and all my experience was based within KS1! I'm looking at it as a learning experience and a chance to stretch my knowledge and understanding of primary schools, but does anyone have some advice on starting off in a year 6 classroom having little to no experience with them at all?

Any help would be appreciated!!

2. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

Pleased you have such a good attitude - Carol Dweck would definitely have you with a growth mindset ! ( worth reading her book Mindset )
    The principles of education remain constant. Find out about the children and what they can do. Where do you want them to be ? How can you get them there ? How can you know ? begin again.
    Principles of classroom management are the same : be organised, be consistent etc. A Key Stage One teacher has no room for slack. Before being accused of not recognising Key Stage Two demands, I do. I taught from 3 to 13 and value teachers at all levels.
    Read books by people like Mick Waters to deepen your knowledge. Visit as many classes as you can - look and learn. Seek to understand children - I learned more from working with children than in any lecture. Ask, nearly all teachers are keen to help.
    Remember you are learning. After 40 plus years in education I'm still learning.