1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Placement Expectations

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by tjrr, Dec 7, 2011.

1. tjrr

tjrr New commenter

Hi all!
    First of all, thanks for reading this! I really hope you can enlighten me with your opinions on this:
    I'm currently on my first secondary placement (MFL) and though I feel that I have progressed quite a bit I just don't know whether it is enough! Whenever I bring up this issue with other 'colleagues' or my mentor, answers are vague or not given. I'm sure it is really difficult to answer this but I'm desperate for some direction. As far as I know I am doing fine (according to my uni mentor) but how fine? He expects me to finish with a 2 and suggested that I "jump high". I'm doing this as much as I can but there is physically a limit.
    I would so appreciate some guidance with this. What should I be doing right or wrong at this stage? It seems every lesson is the same or something else that isn't "up to scratch". No lesson is ever "good" enough! I'm finding this really difficult because no one can give me any guidance.
    Sure, it can't be such a secret what can be expected of a trainee at this stage??
    Thanks again for reading this.
    Please let me know your thougths ;)

2. tjrr

tjrr New commenter

Hi all!
    First of all, thanks for reading this! I really hope you can enlighten me with your opinions on this:
    I'm currently on my first secondary placement (MFL) and though I feel that I have progressed quite a bit I just don't know whether it is enough! Whenever I bring up this issue with other 'colleagues' or my mentor, answers are vague or not given. I'm sure it is really difficult to answer this but I'm desperate for some direction. As far as I know I am doing fine (according to my uni mentor) but how fine? He expects me to finish with a 2 and suggested that I "jump high". I'm doing this as much as I can but there is physically a limit.
    I would so appreciate some guidance with this. What should I be doing right or wrong at this stage? It seems every lesson is the same or something else that isn't "up to scratch". No lesson is ever "good" enough! I'm finding this really difficult because no one can give me any guidance.
    Sure, it can't be such a secret what can be expected of a trainee at this stage??
    Thanks again for reading this.
    Please let me know your thougths ;)

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

With teaching, there is always something you could have done better or would improve on for another time. Even teachers who have been qualified for years will tell you that their lessons aren't perfect. As long as the children are learning something each lesson then you have done a good job; but you will always be able to think what you could have done differently to have helped them learn more. Just keep trying to do the best you can, and be happy when you achieve that, otherwise you will wear yourself down.