1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE PERSONAL STATEMENT SECONDARY MATHEMATICS

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by jsehra, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Hi
    I am in the process of writing my personal statement for my pgce in secondary Mathematics. Was wondering if anybody could give me some helpful tips or example statements. I have recently observed a primary and secondary schools, apart form that I have had no other experience.

Thanks
    Jas

2. Hi
    I am in the process of writing my personal statement for my pgce in secondary Mathematics. Was wondering if anybody could give me some helpful tips or example statements. I have recently observed a primary and secondary schools, apart form that I have had no other experience.

Thanks
    Jas

3. The standard Q you want to answer in your statement are why you want to teach, why that subject and why you want to teach kids/age range chosen. Then a bit about what you have observed - just select a few points that you have something useful to say about if they ask in interview - ie a lesson that did not go to plan but was a success nonetheless because of ..., and finally what else you can bring to teaching - think about your experiences so far and the skills you have gained that are relevant to teaching.
    And remember there is a tight word limit so be concise as you will only have to cut huge chunks out of it anyway.

4. I sopke mostly of my understanding of what teaching was, why I wanted to be a teacher, and why maths. Then I spoke of why maths was so important not just as a subject but across the curriclum and sopke of it specific links to D&T and science. I then mentioned how I understood that teaching was not a 9-5 and the pastoral needs of kids and how I felt my personality would fit into the role.
    I have a lot of family who are teachers so I mentioned the hrs and amount of work with reference to them.... first question in my interview... ' you partners a teacher, and your mother? and they havent managed to put you off?'

5. Thanks for your advice, i seem to have drafted most of it, just going to add a few more bits. I have various family member who teachers too, and it has not put me off as i feel every profession has challenging elements.
    Have you recently completed your pgce?