1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE PCET - *realistic* advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by beltandbraces, Jul 3, 2011.

1. I've been offered a place on the PGCE PCET - but would appreciate a view from someone who's actually done it:
    I'll have to keep working (non teaching related job) while I do the course, 2-3 days a week - the insitution know this and have said 'Oh you'll be fine', but is this realistic on top of coursework, lesson planning, attending the course and doing the teaching.
    I'm in an unusual position that I do a lot of corporate and community training so don't have my own set subject - I had thought of taking the qualification to give me an extra edge in the job market and to enable me to apply for FE posts. However does this mean I could be left with a paper qualification that I can't do anything with? I haven't seen any job adverts for a generic PCET graduate.
    I have been volunteering in basic skills and really enjoyed this - I'm thinking of taking this further qualification afterwards so at least I have a bankable subject.
    These all might seem obvious questions and I did ask them at my interview, but they just said it's a great qual to have whatever you end up teaching. Understandably, they aren't going to turn anyone away! As I've already got the PTLLS, I'm wondering the DTLLS might be a better option

2. Belt
    I must warn you that PCET is very hard work. I worked two days a week - often awake until 2am planning curriculum from scratch. I didn't get any support whatsoever.

At the moment basic skills are dead in the water. If you do decided to get L5 beware... ahem their is a message in that. I can tell u in private..

3. How hard you'll find the course depends on the kind of person you are and your work ethic. I've just finished a full time FE PGCE and found it to be an absolute doddle. The year before I was working 40-45 hours per week as a Youth Worker and writing an essay each month for an Open University course, so compared to that the PGCE was really easy. I also had previous teaching experience which really helped as lesson planning and teaching wasn't as stressful for me as my fellow students.
    I specalised in Basic Skills and have walked into a full time teaching position as soon as I finished. Although the job market is tough there are lots of teaching opportunties for Basic Skills Tutors. As well as teaching in a college or for a training provider you could teach Basic Skills in a prision, for the WEA, for a charity, in a work based setting, for community organisations...the list of possible teaching opportunities is huge. You could also teach Employability Skills or Functional Skills English, Maths or ICT which also helps to increase your chances of gaining employment.

4. Again that has absolutely no resonance with my experience - or that of others as seen in the posts above. Debity how do you make life so hard for yourself?

Oh do share in public....

OP. It should be doable. You will have to plan and be organised and, despite debity's claim, you will get support as you ask for it.

Good luck!

5. LOL the pobble.
    Yes, do tell debity! *whispers* we'll keep it a secret! Pinky promise ;-)

6. Indeed!
    Each and every one of us has a different lifestyle![​IMG]

7. I love Open University !

8. That was a bit of a non sequiteur, debity!

I love chicken keeping!

9. Hi,
    Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.. I'm currently half way through PGCE PCET and I've just completed my first year. I studied, attended lectures, taught and created lesson plans whilst working a non-related 30 hour job. The first few weeks in September I didn't know what was going on, everything seemed so disorganised and my to do list was getting bigger and bigger, I got really overwhelmed. However, once I found my stride and organised my time etc then I was fine. It was hard work no doubt and I was quite fortunate that my job was so supportive but it is achievable, you've just got to be dedicated and organised. It's not easy by any means and already I've got my frustrations with normal teaching problems but I do love it and I don't regret doing it. Roll on the madness of year 2!

The volunteering that you do with the basic/essential skills is well worth doing and will work to your advantage! Keep doing that! Trust me!

Hope I've helped a bit. Go for it!