1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE (PCET) Interview

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by tjroberts82, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Hi
    Apologies for the markedly rushed nature of my first post. I have just found out that I am through to the interview stage for the PGCE (PCET). I have got a letter detailing the structure of the assessment. It involves a 15 minutes interview where I have to show 'some' knowledge of the Post-16 sector. Following on from this, I have to give a 10 minute presentation on the following:
    'What are the 3 key factors to consider when planning a session for a group of learners studying in a Post-16 environment?'
    I have gathered together some research material, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice about the discussion topic? I am uncertain whether the 'key factors' they refer to are along the lines of aim/objective/outcome or if they're looking for topics along the lines of communication/differentiation etc.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have several textbooks at my disposal - but I fear I cannot see the wood for the trees! Once I know how to narrow down the avenue of research, I'll feel more at ease.
    Many thanks for reading this.

2. I think you would need to consider their Inital Assessment results - and any potential barriers to learning that had been indicated. Prior learning would need to be considered and then what objectives you had in mind.
    But I'm guessing here - why only 3?? It does sound as though they have something specific in mind - I expect someone on here will know exactly!

3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I had to give a presentation on some similar sort of topic for my present job interview, where I was not sure exactly what they wanted. I was going to ring up for clarification and then I decided that I would interpret it simply as I saw fit. I opened my presentation saying that is what I had done and laying down my ground rules about what I was going to talk about. The benefit for me was that I could interpret it into something that fitted me and my knowledge. Like any assignment, I gave references at the end. One of them that I saw go down well "was asking for advice from collegues" just as you have done now.
    Will you be using power point? Do so if you can, and don't use excessive power point gimmicks. Alternatively use OHP transparencies. Find out what is available.
    I am not an expert in these matters, but I would wonder if they are really looking at how you present yourself at the front of a class rather than any knowledge or information you have or have gained.
    About the three factors, I would go for things relevent to the students rather than the subject material and lesson structure, but that is just me. You may be more correct in your suggested factors. What ever, do try and involve something that shows you are student centred.
    The usual stuff. Make eye contact with every body but not for too long. Move about a bit but not too much. Have your key points on the screen and point to them when you enlarge upon them. Don't just read them out of course, but you need to amplify them. Each slide should not have too many words and lines on it. Bullet points are good. Can you involve any diagrams - block diagrams, flow charts etc. Can you work in any cartoons, images or photos to catch the attention? Apologies if I'm telling you things you know already.
    Good luck.

4. I would leave the 500 page textbooks to one side and stick to the basics. I would emphasize the "3 key factors to consider when planning a session for a group of learners" part of the brief.
    Here are my suggestions for the three - get these wrong and the lesson can go badly!
    1. Level of students. (Are students level 1, level 2 or level 3 learners? ).
    2. Time available. ( How long is the teaching session? 50 mins, 2.5 hours, etc).
    3. Session Aims/Objectives. (What are you actually trying to teach in the session? ).

These are my suggestions but I don't know if this is what they are looking for. Some colleges are obsessed with bringing up differentiation to the point where they may consider it above the three mentioned above. I hope I have given you a good starting point with this.

5. Thank you for your imput, I appreciate all the help. I'm definitely using powerpoint, I'm fairly up to speed with how to use it and presentational skills - especially given that my degree featured many of them! I think I'll be okay with regards delivering the presentation itself - it's just trying to hone in on the specific key 3 factors.
    Having had a cursory glance through the textbooks, I am still at a loss to decide on the final three factors. However, I have taken on board the comments on here, coupled with the information in the textbooks, and I am now considering the following:
    Key factor 1: Form/Structure - here I can talk about how I can plan for the delivery and implementation of my lesson, dealing with thorough and unambiguous aims, objectives and outcomes, including a clear assessment strategy.
    However, I am uncertain if the topic of form/structure seems both too obvious AND too vague?
    Key factor 2: Differentiation (planning for a range of learners and differing learning styles).
    Key factor 3: Individual achievement and motivation (i.e. getting students to take responsibility for their own learning and encourage them, not only to take an interest in their immediate education environment, but also pay attention to 'wider' learning).
    I'm not sure if this is covering things adequately. As previously mentioned, I'm new to this, so it's incredibly alien to me!
    Any further advice would be fantastic.

6. Hi tjroberts82 ,
    I'm guessing your interview is at MMU? I have also been offered an interview from them with the same question and I am at a complete loss... I don't quite understand how they want it answered, I've been researching for the past 2 days and have come across a great variety of answers. I've now got a list of all the possible factors but I'm considering using:
    1 - Differentiation 2 - involving learners 3- learning agreements..
    not sure whether this is correct but I've arrived at the conclusion that I can only be expected to present what I think since I'm not actually a trained teacher yet! [​IMG] lol
    out of interest when in your interview? mine's on the 29th of Feb..I'm bricking it! [​IMG]
    Good Luck with yours, hope it goes well

7. I just realised your post is from 2010! LOL my apologies for this oversight :/
    In which case, I would be very grateful if you could share your interview experience with me and give me any tips on how to do well. Did you get a place on the course?
    Sorry again!
    Thank you