1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE PCE 2011 - I need some honest advice

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by fspeag, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I've got a PhD in Film Studies from a Russell group Uni, and after not managing to get a job in University teaching due to lack of teaching experience/an uninspiring research profile/ lack of appropriate jobs, I decided to apply for a PGCE PCE specializing in Film or Media (currently in process).
    In recent weeks, however, I've begun to get cold feet and I;ve considered switching to Primary PGCE, which would involve waiting another year for a September 2012 start. Basically, I have some concerns regarding FE pay, working conditions and benefits (e.g. the pension) in comparison to getting QTS in Primary and Secondary.
    I guess I wanted to do PCE as 'the next best thing' to University lecturing, and maybe with a view to progressing to HE at a later date (I had a nightmare of a Secondary school experience, and would not want to go down that route under any circumstances)
    However, I'm worried I could be spending a lot of money on a qualification that might not actually improve my job prospects in 12 months time (I wouldn't be able to apply to school sixth forms, and it isn't an HE qualification).
    I would like some suggestions regarding my next move, if possible - should I go ahead with the PGCE PCE , or would an alternative route be more favourable. Help. I'm desperate!

2. Hi,
    I've got a PhD in Film Studies from a Russell group Uni, and after not managing to get a job in University teaching due to lack of teaching experience/an uninspiring research profile/ lack of appropriate jobs, I decided to apply for a PGCE PCE specializing in Film or Media (currently in process).
    In recent weeks, however, I've begun to get cold feet and I;ve considered switching to Primary PGCE, which would involve waiting another year for a September 2012 start. Basically, I have some concerns regarding FE pay, working conditions and benefits (e.g. the pension) in comparison to getting QTS in Primary and Secondary.
    I guess I wanted to do PCE as 'the next best thing' to University lecturing, and maybe with a view to progressing to HE at a later date (I had a nightmare of a Secondary school experience, and would not want to go down that route under any circumstances)
    However, I'm worried I could be spending a lot of money on a qualification that might not actually improve my job prospects in 12 months time (I wouldn't be able to apply to school sixth forms, and it isn't an HE qualification).
    I would like some suggestions regarding my next move, if possible - should I go ahead with the PGCE PCE , or would an alternative route be more favourable. Help. I'm desperate!

3. Hi, I work in FE - I'm not sure how much I can advise you but here is my response to some of the issues you have raised:
    1) my degree is film and media and when I got my PGCE I found there were very limited opportunities within FE to teach in that field. I ended up in a different area altogether. There is more work if you have lots of practical media skills - and maybe you do - but otherwise you might be short of enough work for a fulltime post.
    2) Generally you might find a progression route into working in HE if you can get the experience i.e, if your employing institution offers qualifications at levels 4 and 5 - but many colleges do not.
    3) I have many friends working in primary and I would say that my pay and conditions are as good or better - but I guess it depends on the college. Certainly a lot of private training providers pay very poorly

4) there is no money in FE at the moment and there are few posts being advertised. All things being equal I would probably go down the primary route
    Hope it helps a little bit.

4. My timetable is almost all HE.
    But I actually qualified as a secondary school teacher (with QTS), taught for a year and then moved to FE.
    If you complete the primary with QTS almost all doors are passable, and you will learn much that can be applied at all levels of learning.

5. Thanks for your responses.
    I think I'm going to ditch PCET and go for Primary or Secondary English and Media.

6. Two further words advice.
    Firstly discuss your concerns with your current programme leader.
    Secondly organise a couple of weeks (or more) voluntary work in your local school (the rougher the better) - not everyone can hack a day surrounded by children, and its best to find this out before enrolling on PGCE. In any case this will most likely be an entry requirement and the time wont be wasted.
    Good luck.