1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Panic

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Gemma1295, May 21, 2016.

1. Hello!

I'm currently studying my PGCE in Wales and have decided not to take up teaching straight away once I've qualified. Although I would like to take up teaching at some point in the future. What worries me is I've heard there is a 5 year limit in which you must start your NQT year in Wales? I'm wondering would I lose my QTS/PGCE if I did not settle down in a job in 5 years. I can't seem to find much of an answer online, from other students or my tutor, so any accurate light on the subject would be excellent.

Thank you!

2. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

I don't know the rules and procedures for Wales, as I trained in England, but I have to ask; if you don't plan on teaching in the next 5 years, why did you train now?

It seems to me that if you don't complete your NQT year in the first 5 years, you'll be "out of touch" by the time you do get around to it, and will struggle. NQT is a tough year, you are supported but not as much as on the PGCE. You need to be as clued up and up-to-date with the ever changing nature of teaching to survive it.

I'd suggest getting your NQT year out of the way in the next 5 years, then it's not an issue, and then decide what to do after that.

3. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

There is no limit, this was scrapped some years back...I completed my induction this year and finished pgce in 2009!

But I'd agree with @littledragon25 . Why do your pgce then contemplate waiting over 5 years? Put yourself in the place of an employer...a current ITT student with little experience but good references and up-to-date knowledge, versus someone who completed itt 6 years ago and has not set foot inside a classroom since and with references at least 5 years old. I'd be wondering how interested you were in teaching really, and what you had managed to remember from that time of maybe 25 weeks in the classroom. I know which I'd go for.

Why is this an option for you anyway? Curious situation :)

If you type into Google Wales induction guidance you'll get the relevant pdf.