1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE panic

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by laurareags, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I need help!
    I really want to do a PGCE but work full time as a TA to 2 SEN children at a local primary school.
    I really do not want to leave work to go back to uni full time and do a PGCE but I wondered what other people suggest I do?
    Are there any fantastic distance learning courses? What about Open Uni courses?
    I am also worried that part of the PGCE means doing placements in at least 2 schools- I would be unable to do that with the commitments I have to the children at work. If I am not there, they do not have support- it makes things very tricky.
    If I do a distance learning PGCE am I still required to do 2 placements even though I work full time in a primary school?
    Thank you :)

2. Hello,
    I need help!
    I really want to do a PGCE but work full time as a TA to 2 SEN children at a local primary school.
    I really do not want to leave work to go back to uni full time and do a PGCE but I wondered what other people suggest I do?
    Are there any fantastic distance learning courses? What about Open Uni courses?
    I am also worried that part of the PGCE means doing placements in at least 2 schools- I would be unable to do that with the commitments I have to the children at work. If I am not there, they do not have support- it makes things very tricky.
    If I do a distance learning PGCE am I still required to do 2 placements even though I work full time in a primary school?
    Thank you :)

3. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Open Uni only do Secondary PGCEs and you still have to do teaching placements.

I'm not aware of any PGCEs that don't expect you to do 2 placements, you need to have experience of different Key Stages and in different schools to get a more rounded view of teaching to be honest. The school you work in could train you via a GTP but the ones that I know of still expect a second placement elsewhere.

Even if you were to train GTP in your current school you wouldn't have time to be a TA to the children you work with, even part time courses mean you will have to miss a few days a week with them. You would need to be teaching whole classes - as far as I'm aware there isn't a way of teacher training whilst working with only 2 students.

If now isn't the right time, then maybe you need to wait until those children you feel obliged to stay with have left. However, if teaching is what you really want then there will be plenty of other good TAs out there waiting for a job and could step into your current role.