1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE or PGCE(FE)

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by prole23, May 10, 2005.

1. Hello,

I'm currently doing the first year of a two year part-time MA in Religious Studies. On of the options I'm looking at for work at the end of the course is FE teaching, however some people have mentioned to me that it would be better to have a PGCE rather than a PGCE(FE) as a PGCE allows you to work at both SE and FE whilst a PGCE(FE) only allows you to work at FE. Could anyone advise on this and if true than what is the point of the PGCE(FE) qualification.

Regards, Prole

2. Hello,

I'm currently doing the first year of a two year part-time MA in Religious Studies. On of the options I'm looking at for work at the end of the course is FE teaching, however some people have mentioned to me that it would be better to have a PGCE rather than a PGCE(FE) as a PGCE allows you to work at both SE and FE whilst a PGCE(FE) only allows you to work at FE. Could anyone advise on this and if true than what is the point of the PGCE(FE) qualification.

Regards, Prole

3. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

I have PGCE (Post-Comp) and I teach in schools (I obtained QTS upon starting in the secondary sector through TES!) I am happy with my PGCE choice because I taught in Sixth Form for hundreds of years before starting teaching KS3 etc in secondary schools. Very happy in the school sector, very happy with my choice, but if I had my time again knowing where I have ended up . . . I would do secondary PGCE with sixth form bolt-on and obtain my QTS. I have mentored FE PGCE and secondary PGCE students and I just think the school setting is far more helpful re: training (simple things really like routines and intervention techniques, organisation etc); observing each K.stage also ensures you differentiate more effectively when students make the move up to KS5, instead of, for example, just assuming they should be able to do it (personal reflection there :oops:)

4. saluki

saluki Occasional commenter

I only ever wanted to teach FE although I have taught a bit of secondary.
    I have PGCE PCET. Occasionally I wish that I knew a bit more about the national curriculum and what students should have covered at what stage. Many students arrive in FE with KS3 knowledge, or less.
    I'm not sure how much of a demand there is for religious studies in FE. It may be worth exploring where the job opportunities are before deciding which PGCE you wish to follow.

5. ATfan

ATfan Occasional commenter

Depends upon which sector you prefer to teach in. PGCE (FE) is fine if you definitely want to work in colleges but a PGCE primary/secondary will prepare you better for school teaching if that's what you want. I knew that I didn't want to teach in a school, so went for the PGCE (Post-compulsory) qualification and then later found that my subject was taught in school 6th forms as well, so went for QTLS when it was introduced, in order to keep my options open (even though I didn't really need to because I qualified before the legal obligation to get an FE teaching qualification was introduced) when the Education act was amended to recognise it in 2012. If you don't have this then FE teaching qualification recognition and status will depend upon the school that you choose to work in because your qualification will not be legally recognised in schools.

Hope this helps and good luck!

PS. What the previous posters have said is also correct.