1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE or MASTERS

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by jakehands, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm currently teaching English and Business in south east Asia and I'm thinking about coming back to the UK to improve my qualifications and become a "real" teacher. However, I'm not sure which route to take. On the one hand, a PGCE would be great for obvious reasons but on the other hand, a masters would give me extra knowledge and expertise.Furthermore, I have no intention to live in England permanently and i prefer teaching young adults aged 16/18 and above.

2. Hi,

I'm currently teaching English and Business in south east Asia and I'm thinking about coming back to the UK to improve my qualifications and become a "real" teacher. However, I'm not sure which route to take. On the one hand, a PGCE would be great for obvious reasons but on the other hand, a masters would give me extra knowledge and expertise.Furthermore, I have no intention to live in England permanently and i prefer teaching young adults aged 16/18 and above.

3. I know Sunderland Uni has a PGCE programme operating in Beiijng but I am unsure if they are anywhere else in asia. And did an MEd online through the OU.... although you have to get someone in the uk to forward all the materials to you.

4. Your pgce will give you knowledge and expertise in teaching. If this is what you want to do then why not spend a year seeing how it is done. It is useful and I wish I could go back and do it again - the chance to observe my peers would be wonderful and I am sure would improve my teaching.