1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE or just QTS?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by HazyTechNerd, Feb 5, 2020.

1. HazyTechNerd

HazyTechNerd New commenter

I’m going to be starting ITT next September having had a few years out of education to extend the family. I previously worked as an LSA in a junior school for many years before that, but really got a taste for maths and so want to teach secondary. I’m aiming to train part time and have identified 2 places which will let me do that. One is a 2 year SCITT with a PGCE, the other is 4 terms, QTS only. Now I’m never going to be teaching abroad but, I am ambitious and would like to get into leadership fairly quickly. Would a lack of PGCE make this difficult? There’s always a masters option later on if needed but do schools like their SLT to have PGCEs?

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The assessment only route is for experienced but unqualified teachers. If you haven't got significant teaching experience in at least two different schools I wouldn't go near it. You won't get the training you need to be able to teach effectively.

The SCITT would be more sensible. I would also suggest looking at part and full time PGCE courses at local universities if you can as well. The tax free bursary should help, and uni courses can be a little more flexible than SCITTs (part time there is rather like being a part time teacher, that it takes up more time than it says on paper).

3. HazyTechNerd

Thanks Stiltskin. The QTS only option here isn’t the assessment only route, it’s School Direct but without the PGCE option. I was thinking of going to look at a uni for the PGCE but my ‘local’ is at least an hours drive away, none near me offer part time and it would mean committing to full time childcare when I don’t think we’d be ready for that. I know part time training is likely to take more hours than they state, but the opportunity to be able to work flexibly on those additional 2 days is really what I’m looking for. I’m eager to get stuck in so don’t really want to wait an additional year.

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

My part timers are flying. Plenty of time to do the PGCE and they are making better progress at half the rate than the full timers did at half the hours if that makes sense. The PGCE means you will get the theoretical stuff and if I’m honest, the new ECF and ofsted framework means you really need to be able to talk the academic stuff well. Others will suggest that isn’t the case, but don’t take my word for it, read the core ITE and the ECF for yourself and then see why I’m suggesting that 200 hours of university input would make your ability to progress through the core ITE and the ECF more easily.

MathMan1, Stiltskin and agathamorse like this.
  5. HazyTechNerd

Thanks MrMedia, I was really hoping for your input. I was leaning towards the PGCE but that’s really cemented it in my mind. Having had a chat with MrTechNerd it would be possible for me to do a Uni PGCE full time or a SCITT with PGCE part time. In your experience, who generally does better out of these options? Are Uni students better supported academically? I did a Maths degree with the OU so my ability to write academically has never been tested. It’s so hard trying to decide what’s best.

Stiltskin likes this.
  6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

We have plenty come through from the OU. It gives a good firm grounding. If writing at L7 is your worry then definitely the Uni route as you will get taught sessions on each aspect of the essays. Full time on a well organised uni PG is fine - you will get a day a week off school for all the uni input.

We run part time and I tell you what I tell them. The part time is harder. You have split classes, you have to build a relationship with pupils over long drawn out periods and you lack continuity with the other teachers. However, if part time is the only way you can become a teacher then great, part time is for you. If it’s a choice between full time or part time then choose full time - it’s easier. Being a part time teacher is harder work than being a full time teacher. It’s not half the work, it’s about 60-70% of the work of full time.

You are maths. They will be queuing up to bite your hand off. Don’t let them squeeze you to make a decision. Take your 40 days and take all of your interviews and make the best choice for you. No twilights is what you want - twiglights and weekend training are the death of us all.

MathMan1 and HazyTechNerd like this.