1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE OR DTLLS?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by MunkeyPants, Jun 11, 2012.

1. I'm coming to the end of a Teaching assistant course at Level 3 and I'm wondering where to go next. I already have a BA (Hons) Degree in Illustration and would ideally like to teach this in a college or to older children. I'm just wondering which is better? I'm aware that PGCE is level 7 and you gain QTS and the DTLLS course is level 5 and you have to then work towards QTS.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. I'm coming to the end of a Teaching assistant course at Level 3 and I'm wondering where to go next. I already have a BA (Hons) Degree in Illustration and would ideally like to teach this in a college or to older children. I'm just wondering which is better? I'm aware that PGCE is level 7 and you gain QTS and the DTLLS course is level 5 and you have to then work towards QTS.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

DTLLS is, I think, a long distance learning course aimed at people who have a full-time position, but need/ want to gain a teaching qualification. Have you considered a GTP?
    You are unlikely to get onto a PGCE course this year though? Are you based at a one school at the moment?... could you approach them about doing a GTP? (I did a PGCE, but you get paid on the job if you can find a school that will take you as a GTP.)
    Another consideration for PGCE: What 'class' was your degree, as currently you get £9000 funding for a first class and £4000 or 5000(?) for a 2:1 towards your PGCE cost of £9000. Not sure how much DTLLS is?

4. I qualified from a PGDE (post graduate diploma in education) which was in between at level
    6. I do have to work towards your QTLS but means you can work with 14+ which I currently am
    as im working in a special needs college that houses adults aged 16-25..
    It was a great course that I would recommend and you get a monthly bursary just like on PGCE.
    Look into that x

5. The information in this thread on the DTLLS is not quite accurate.

The DTLLS is the adult education (FE) "equivalent" to the PGCE leading to QTLS (the FE version of QTS). You can do it along side working in a college. I have just completed the PTLLS course which is the precursor to the DTLLS, it's quite a quick and inexpensive course and I would recommend trying it if you are unsure.

DTLLS is definitely much cheaper than the PGCE but the decision should really lie on where you want to teach. If you want to teach in a college (FE) then the DTLLS is the right route, however.... bear in mind you need to be actually teaching to do the DTLLS (there is a required minimum number of hours per week). If you want to teach in a secondary school then PGCE is the right route.

Hope that helps.

Jaz