1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE or BEd?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AnnaBakerMusic, Jul 27, 2019.

1. AnnaBakerMusic

AnnaBakerMusic New commenter

Hi all,

I was wondering if the majority of Primary teachers typically have a degree in other subject + PGCE or if most do a Primary Education BEd? What's your experience? Is there a difference in teaching quality between the two routes?

Thanks.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No idea about actual proportions for each way of qualifying.
    And no noticeable difference in the quality of teachers at the end of them.

Degree+PGCE gives you more options if you later decide teaching isn't for you.

When it comes to teaching, do whatever course suits you. Once you have QTS you can teach any age in any kind of school. I trained via a PGCE in 11-18 maths, but now teach a nursery class. Your interests will change and opportunities will come up and you'll probably want a varied career.

Stiltskin and MissKitCat like this.
  3. AnnaBakerMusic

AnnaBakerMusic New commenter

Thanks for the reply. Is it ever common for people to go the other way, from primary to secondary? Or are you more limited? Thanks

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I went primary (early years) trained straight into secondary maths, and I always felt it was easier than the other way round. But that was a long time ago. I've been back in early years many years now though.
    When I was teaching, I felt the BED teachers had better all round knowledge because the PGCE was largely focused on curriculum content. Perhaps that is different now, but doing the B Ed I did all sorts, psychology, philosophy, sociology, working with parents, Sen, etc etc, and I don't have any regrets doing that route, but then it was more common 30+ years ago.
    But having a degree in another subject first probably gives you more options, depending on what the subject is.

5. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

Hi. I did a degree+PGCE. Having worked with many teachers and observed several I have not seen a difference in the quality of teaching or contributing to the team between the two routes.
    I know of several secondary trained teachers who now work in primary and one primary trained teacher who now teaches in a secondary school (but as I teach in a primary school I know a lot more primary teachers).
    The above posts give good advice.

6. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I am quite biased but I would say degree + PGCE. I just think sometimes it's good to have other experiences that you can use in your teaching plus a degree in a non-teaching related career is a good option should you decide to leave teaching a few years down the line.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Training for four years will give you more knowledge than training for one year...obviously.
    Whether that training results in a better quality of teacher is unclear.

People move around all over the place...some teachers decide life as an HLTA is the way to go, some make a career of supply teaching, some move into museum (and similar) work, some move around varying schools, some move from independent to state and back again.

The world (of education) is your oyster.

sunshineneeded likes this.